Tips for a Mechanically Impaired New Guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Step 1: RTV
Step 2: Red Loctite
Step 3: Duct Tape
Step 4: Baling Wire
Step 5: Bondo
Step 6: Steel Seal
Step 7: Dry Wall Screws
Step 8: JB Weld

All seriousness, spend a little time here on mud and listen to the usual suspects you see pop up - most of them really know their s***. Many here have helped morons like myself quite a few times.

I thought step #6 was

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

From one 'recent' 80 owner (long-time convert) to another, what sold me was the fact that Toyota designed this truck to be field serviceable for over 2 decades in 3rd world environments between major service intervals.
Which is to say that, so far, I've done more with the hand tools that fit in a tool roll, and a barrel jack and stands in an apartment complex parking lot than I ever imagined possible. Great lengths of 'baselining' have been covered.

That said, I did leave the suspension and lift to the professionals. Don't regret it. But having not done it, I don't know.
Also employed the pros with pushing in bearings to things requiring a hydraulic press. Bought one. Tried it. Let the pros handle it. Especially if its the only set of bushings you'll ever need pressed.

Stick to OEM parts everytime you can.
Just need a tool that fits the nut or bolt (or 2 tools for both sometimes). It's all metric (until you add things spec'd otherwise). And a torque wrench to know when it's tight again.
And get an FSM if you plan a long haul. It's quick and helpful when the youtube vids arent.

From one 'recent' 80 owner (long-time convert) to another, what sold me was the fact that Toyota designed this truck to be field serviceable for over 2 decades in 3rd world environments between major service intervals.
Which is to say that, so far, I've done more with the hand tools that fit in a tool roll, and a barrel jack and stands in an apartment complex parking lot than I ever imagined possible. Great lengths of 'baselining' have been covered.

That said, I did leave the suspension and lift to the professionals. Don't regret it. But having not done it, I don't know.
Also employed the pros with pushing in bearings to things requiring a hydraulic press. Bought one. Tried it. Let the pros handle it. Especially if its the only set of bushings you'll ever need pressed.

Stick to OEM parts everytime you can.
Just need a tool that fits the nut or bolt (or 2 tools for both sometimes). It's all metric (until you add things spec'd otherwise). And a torque wrench to know when it's tight again.
And get an FSM if you plan a long haul. It's quick and helpful when the youtube vids arent.
Really liked the part about the apartment complex. I will be moving off base here soon, and its so hard to find a place with a garage in the city. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom