Tinting The Windows Over The Factory Stuff??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

I just tried a search and found nothing.

I want to darken the rear tint on my 93 and add tint to the front windows to reduce heat buildup (trying to save the interior for the long run) and glare when i am driving.

The rear is tinted nicely but i want it darker. I was wondering if anyone has installed "Additional" tint to the rear windows and if so, how did it come out? I also want to try to tint the fronts to match but the 2 places i tried said its a factory tint and cant be matched (not so sure i believe that).

Anyone got any input?? I want to try to preserve my interior, keep it cool, and help hide the goodies i am going to be installing!

Thanks

Tinting the fronts would do a better job of keeping it cool...granted, it's illegal in CA to do that.
Would tinting just the rears (over OEM tint) actually do anything?

NorCalDoug said:
Tinting the fronts would do a better job of keeping it cool...granted, it's illegal in CA to do that.
Yes, i understand, but every rig i have and currently own has them tinted and never a problem. Rig will probably only see 3-5k a year on the road anyway! Also, i am a land surveyor and work outdoors everyday all day, i need and use as much sun protection as possibly. If i am in the sun all day working, i dont want to be in it also on my ride home! :D

NorCalDoug said:
Would tinting just the rears (over OEM tint) actually do anything?

I would guess that it would aid in the cooling a little, if not, at least it would help hide the goodies!

When I originally got my rig it had tinting on all the windows, including a strip of tint on the front windshield so yes it is possible and will make it darker overall.

Taking the tint of the windows was the first mod I made :D

The factory tint is good enough for me. (also the tint was kinda purple)

When u have the cruiser parked; use a large! sun shield for motor home on the OUTSIDE of the front windshield. Work well... Only a mirror tint on the windows will do anything...

I tinted my front windows to a 30% and the sunroof to a 15% and it really made a huge diiference. It stays much cooler now. If you do tint yours make sure you pony up for the metalic tints instead of the pigment ones. The purple is caused by a breakdown in the dyes. If you get a metalic film it won't fade or turn purple. It isn't that much more from what I remember.

dfmorse said:
When u have the cruiser parked; use a large! sun shield for motor home on the OUTSIDE of the front windshield. Work well... ...
I use a mirrored sunshield that my girlfriend got me on the inside of the truck and it works great!

dfmorse said:
Only a mirror tint on the windows will do anything...

I whole heartly disagree if your talking about cooling properties! My 60 was an oven when i first got it and once i tinted the windows (standard limo on all the backs and slightly lighter up front) it was a NIGHT and day difference in how much cooler it was!

apcoleman said:
I tinted my front windows to a 30% and the sunroof to a 15% and it really made a huge diiference. It stays much cooler now. If you do tint yours make sure you pony up for the metalic tints instead of the pigment ones. The purple is caused by a breakdown in the dyes. If you get a metalic film it won't fade or turn purple. It isn't that much more from what I remember.

Thanks, how does it look/match with the brownish stuff in the rear? Good point, i never even though of tinting the sunroof! I never open it and leave the cover on it all the time, i guess the heat still gets through huh?

Boston Mangler said:
Thanks, how does it look/match with the brownish stuff in the rear?

I made sure to ask for a brown tint to match the color because I have seen a few cruisers around me that didn't and they look pretty bad. The color is actually a pretty good match. As for the sunroof, I like riding around with the moonroof open instead of having it closed and the tint really helped.
attachment.jpg

Have you seen triple tints? Light Smoke/ Bronze & Mettalic
YES 3 layers different tint which mean you tint them once and let it dry for aweek or so…then again tint the 2nd one and so on…
Here some old pics of my 80s http://www.cardomain.com/ride/792560 Well the car totally different now just haven’t had time to take pics and update it.
Good Luck :beer:

Boston Mangler said:

Since your 80 is painted 6M1, the best color I might add, your back windows are tinted GREEN from the factory. Even the original front windshield has a green tint. In just the right light you can see it, I could only tell when my 80 which is 6M1 was next to my dad's moon glow which has the bronze color tint.

When you add aftermarket tint you will no longer be able to notice the green or bronze factory stuff as much....which to me is a shame. Just tint the front with some quality stuff that won't purple on you.

Boston Mangler said:
The closest you can get to match front and rear windows/ brownish look:
1) You need to tint both front driver and passenger side with Black light smoke.
2) After you let it dry for week or so you going to need to tint 'em again twice and this time you need to tint it with Bronze ( S-22 ) that the tint code.Done and solve your prob for good.

Thanks Guys

Personally, i prefer black (non brownish). Will the brownish hue still appear if i add some smoke to the rears? I dont mind if the brownish hue remains, i just want everything to match and i want it darker

Thanks

Boston Mangler said:
Thanks Guys

Personally, i prefer black (non brownish). Will the brownish hue still appear if i add some smoke to the rears? I dont mind if the brownish hue remains, i just want everything to match and i want it darker

Thanks

Thanks, just what I wanted to know. Black on white is the way to go in my opinion. If the windows are truly tinted brown and the rig is white that's a weird combination IMHO. Suppose I want black and metallized but something slightly less than limo black, what shade should I go for, what brand should I go for? A local shop has 3M which in general, as a company, I trust.

Ohh, just so I can put some math behind this (helps me understand) what shade or percentage would limo black be, and what would the factory tint be in the same shade or percent or whatever its measured in. Thanks. :cheers:

I used a very clear tint on my front windsheild that had tremendous heat reflecting properties but allowed clear vision at night. The tint is not visible unless you see the join, or flash a light at an angle at night. It doesn't cool as well as dark tint, but enough to suit me, and it makes driving at night a whole lot safer. Some brands are very expensive. Unfortunately I've forgotten the brand I used, just a cheap one.

I used dark 3M magic tint on all other windows. They are also very good at night and allow you to look out with no trouble even with very little light.

Kalawang

I TINT THE s*** OUT OF ALL MY NEW CARS!!! First thing I did with the 80 was to put 5%, yes 5% all the way around including over the factory tint! I honestly think the difference looks good going from the rears to the front. It's more mirrored over the factory tint but I wouldn't call it a different color. The 5% is a little dark but I'm in AZ and the sun stays above your head 16 hours a day here. I will say it stays far cooler on those 115 degree days! On the backs it's so dark you can't see in even in the day, very nice!

Be sure to stay away from the dyed tints as they suck as somebody pointed out... It was $115 to do mine but I have connections so expect to pay about $150! Best investment I've ever made...

Okay, I'll weigh in...I've got 15% Llumar brand tint all the way around. The reduction in heat and glare is VERY significant. I would recommend staying away from anything but the standard smoke colored tint.

All but the two lowest lines of Llumar have lifetime warranties - that means tint AND labor at the shop I go to. I have had my 4Runner and 'Cruiser done the same way, and I have friends who have not had any "purple tint" develop in 7+ years. Find out more about Llumar here .

I guess the best thing to do is to ask around to people locally about where they got their tint. Find a reputable shop, and ask questions. Then research the brands of tint they carry. I'm sure there are other quality brands besides Llumar, that's just the only one I've had experience with. It might not seem like a big deal, but in the long run it will be worth it.

Chip

I know this is kinda old but is there any chance we (you) could post some pictures of tinted windows you have. I'm 50/50 on it right now but seeing may be believing. - Thanks.

sonoranfun said:
I TINT THE s*** OUT OF ALL MY NEW CARS!!! First thing I did with the 80 was to put 5%, yes 5% all the way around including over the factory tint! I honestly think the difference looks good going from the rears to the front. It's more mirrored over the factory tint but I wouldn't call it a different color. The 5% is a little dark but I'm in AZ and the sun stays above your head 16 hours a day here. I will say it stays far cooler on those 115 degree days! On the backs it's so dark you can't see in even in the day, very nice!

Be sure to stay away from the dyed tints as they suck as somebody pointed out... It was $115 to do mine but I have connections so expect to pay about $150! Best investment I've ever made...

I'm in South Florida (originally from CT) and seriously looking at more tint - heavy duty sun down here. I know ZERO about this but thought I would check out the local Lexus or Bentley/Rolls dealer (yes, very common here) and ask where they go to have it done. But how much do I HATE that purple looking stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom