Tint vs. Non Tint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Restoring original FJ60 Question: does it reduce the value of the vehicle if the windows are tinted? or should I keep them clear?

They did not come tinted. I've tinted mine for security and better performance of the A/C system.
If you tint them and the next owner doesn't like it it is possible to remove the tint.

If you are going to sell it soon, then don't bother with it.

I bought mine with tint and removed the tint because it had turned purple and had bubbles in it (probably was 10+ years old).

It seems to me that most people like the tint, but I personally prefer the stock look without it.

I agree it look better with out it.

BUT I am thinking of tinting all the rear window for the kids. I get the squeally infant in the sun noise right now in the car and when I am rolling in the 60 I think I want it quiet :) So I am going to tint them to keep the peace.

Makes watching DVD's easier too for them. I have the dual monitor thing for them.

I tinted mine last year. Son got sick on long drives in car and makes it stays cooler in the sun(plus mine is white). Just make sure you get it done with good tint and it will not turn purple.

Dave

my got my tint 10years ago.:cool:
tint widow.jpg

Mine are lightly tinted. Saves UV damage to the interior, helps if you need A/C,
Helps shroud the contents, passerby types gotta stop and look if they want to see what's inside, may slow down or stop a casual theif.

How can you live in Texas, Cbmontgo and not have tint? My 87 60 that I had in Ft Worth was dark tinted...Still tuff to get it cool from March till November.

Good tint, that is to say properly installed tint will last pretty much till you tear it up..ski edges will do just that if you load them in sloppy like...If your rig is parked outside alot yeah uv will eat up the tint too..better that than your dogs and carpet etc...
PA210096.JPG

Light tint might be an option, but I gotta say that even the factory tint in my FJ 80 sometimes drove me crazy. Visibiity issue. Under some conditions made seeing out a bit difficult. Night time in particular.

I really like the clear glass option. The 360 degree visibility is great in the 60. Second only to my BMW 2002.

There are some films that are essentially clear that knock out both glare, heat gain and UV that are used in buildings (such as Viracon soft coat). Don't know if there are similar in car film applications. Might look at 3M.

And..it is a 'Cruiser...just get a good coat of dust or dirt on 'em and same net result!!!

The dark tint I had in my 87 was so dark that at night all you could see in the windows was the reflection of the dash..that is a problem with the dark tint. you can get "tint" that is only UV protection, basicaly clear. 3M has been doing this stuff for a while..I bet they've go some that is dark in sunlight and lightens in the dark..all it takes is $$$.

Anyway, I don't think it hurts value to tint, don't like it..yank it out, If it does not have tint and you are going to sell it soon..certainly don't tint it..won't add any value..a bad job will hurt value.

My tint is pushing 15 years old..when it goes I'll re-tint. But when I am out of the garage, I'm in the desert...so it is well worth it to me..I seldom drive at night...(but my light tint is not a reflection issue)

And Sherpa< I had a 1973 2002, was a great car, lived in North Carolina at the time...great roads for driving

Personally I would'nt worry about the value......if you want it tinted, tint it. If you are asking, you probably prefer tint?

I agree that a wagon looks better without tint but tint also serves a purpose. It's worth it to have it in the summer in a hot environment. If you are just doing it for looks then you can do without it. Either way it is not a permenent mod.

I like it tinted. If fact i think I might tint the rear window on my new project ;).

In all seriousness I think tint serves a purpose other than just looks. It will protect your new resotration from sun on the interior and make it cooler in the summer. Also if you use the truck for camping it will give you privacy.

lunyou

One shop told me my Cruiser was TOO OLD to tint the windows!!! He said after a while windows get pitted, scratched, dirty, etc, and the tint won't stick as well. Of course, windows can be cleaned, but once he mentioned the pitting and scratching, I suppose it's possible to have that even on the INSIDES of the widows. Or maybe he just prefers tinting brand new cars and trucks because they're easier?

I've seen some smurf blue FJ and BJ60's (like mine) but with tinted windows. They look OK, but personally, I prefer the look of untinted windows. However, I am considering getting them tinted to keep it cooler since I don't have air conditioning and also to keep prying eyes from seeing what's inside. Worked well on a previous vehicle I had, although that one was black and the dark tinted windows looked really slick.

You can have a 35% (or even a 50% if you want the stock look) installed that won't be dark at all. Just make sure it is a metallic tint as these last alot longer (had Autolux brand on my Stang for 7 years with no change in tint quality). It's not the same as mirror tint, but it does have a slight reflective property when viewed from certain angles. I've used this on all my vehicles with very long lasting results (ie no purple).

One shop told me my Cruiser was TOO OLD to tint the windows!!! He said after a while windows get pitted, scratched, dirty, etc, and the tint won't stick as well. Of course, windows can be cleaned, but once he mentioned the pitting and scratching, I suppose it's possible to have that even on the INSIDES of the widows. Or maybe he just prefers tinting brand new cars and trucks because they're easier?

I don't see how tinting a new car/truck would be easier unless he has pre cut shapes for those windows. FJ60 rear windows are practically a flat piece of glass.

lunyo

I like tint. Helps keep it cool. Looks good.

The tint shop guy who advised you to not tint on old glass was deranged. Interior glass should never be pitted or chipped (but maybe scratched), unless it had crazy kids wielding metal objects in the back or something really odd like that. Dog nails can't scratch glass, so no, that's not a possibility either.

What MAY be an issue is old glass being warped over the years and tinting MAY accentuate the ability to see the distortion caused by this. All normal glass is not actually a soild. It is an EXTREMELY viscous liquid and over the years will be thicker at the bottom than the top. Curved glass (almost all automotive glass is curved) will distort in shape and thickness as it ages. It this a real issue? Absolutely not.

Removing tinting takes 30 miutes with a window scraper and Goo Off. it should in no way effect the glass nor the "originality" of the vehicle. Many brand new TLCs had window tinting as a dealer installed option.

I'd go with Lumar, 3M or Johnson film, but avoid the mirror tint (illegal in most states and rarely looks good). Should copst $250-350 for an expert installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom