Tint Removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wanting to take off the tint from my truck. It looks horrible, and I would like to get rid of the junk.
Anyone know how to take it off and make my windows look good again?

Thanks
Kent

Try calling a shop that does the work and see what they suggest. Don't know if car tint is the same, but years ago a house I bought had tint on the living room window. A tint shop suggested warm soapy water and the stuff came right off.

Peel the film off and use ADHESIVE remover for the glue. If it's been on there for many years, you will need some Tylenol on the side.

wall papper remover maybe?

I've seen people scrape them off with the same scraper they put them on with. Plenty of soapy water or shampoo is also used as it stinks something awful. Peeling it off with your finger nail works for some. Others use rubbing alcohol. Bottom line is it's tedious work but there are many ways to get the job done.

Kalawang

This is a time to suck it up and pay for the good stuff. 3M Adhesive Remover spray. Watch scraping as some year 80s have a factory tint layer on the inside window surface (I think only 93 on for the privacy glass on all windows except front doors). Also, scraping's not going to work on the defroster lines on the rear window. I'd still talk to a tint shop - actually I'd stop at one and ask them to tell you what kind of adhesive it is in case it's water based and therefore easy. I'd be surprised - keep the Tylenol handy....

DougM

Just to clarify,
If you are talking about the factory brown S*&t tint. Then that stuff doesn't come off, it's melted into the the glass or something. If it is aftermarket tint (film) buy yourself a box of shard razor blades and some "goo be gone" clear about 30 -40 min per window (front or rear) and about a sold hour for the huge cargo rear. Watch out for the defroster lines in the rear you don't want to mess them up.

Sam

Use a hair blower, turn it up all the way to high and blow it, when the tint states to melt or come off, then use razor blade to get way of it. I seem my friend who works in a body shop had done that.

be careful with the rear window defroster

80/20 factory tint is part of the glass.
It ain't leavin.
Aftermarket tint (my front windows)
Heat gun or blow dryer on high
then razor and solvent (careful)

Steam Use steam!! I have a steam wallpaper machine and it worked greatt. 50 buckds tho

I used Simple Green. I would coat the tint with it and then cover the window with a black garbage sack. Wait a while and then go and peel it off. It sounds easier than it is ;p

Patience is a virtue here.

fzj80kidpen said:
80/20 factory tint is part of the glass.
It ain't leavin.
Aftermarket tint (my front windows)
Heat gun or blow dryer on high
then razor and solvent (careful)

Ditto,
If its factory your stuck with it.
But kidpen, and PKP80...
I would think the tint he is talking about is not stock considering the truck listed in his sigline is a 91. They didnt come with factory tint, did they?

Darwood said:
I used Simple Green. I would coat the tint with it and then cover the window with a black garbage sack. Wait a while and then go and peel it off. It sounds easier than it is ;p

Patience is a virtue here.

Yup this is what I did back in the day after my 3rd ticket for the driver’s window being tented. (Oregon thing) Soapy water sprayed onto the window and food plastic wrap stretched over it to keep if from evaporating. Set in the sun for a few hours and the tint came right off in my case.

Mark

The more quality tints like 3m are easier to peel off. The crappy tints fall apart and leave residue all over the place. You can buy defroster line paint if you do nick one. I had to do that on my 60. I used soapy water and a hair dryer and a razor blade. I would recommend a real heat gone the hair dryer kept stalling out because it would get too hot. The more moisture you can get into it the more plyable it becomes and the easier it is to get off in big sections.

If you're going to retint it, check with your tint shop of choice about removing old tint. I think it's usually pretty reasonable; like $40 or so. Even if it's like $60, It's probably $$ well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom