Tint for the 200 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
The front tint that the PO installed wasn't done well and it's showing. I'll probably take it off just out of frustration. But, I want to get the right tint installed soon. On my 80's and 100's I've always went with Huper Optik and had it installed by a shop in Orlando. I've not looked at or compared window tint for a few years, so I am wondering if the Huper Optik is still one of the best, or if there are better options out there that others have had great success with.

Let me know your thoughts.

My 200 is done with DubIR ceramic. The impact on interior temp in the sun and the optical quality are awesome. The real win is the ceramic sun temperature reduction, it’s just so good, helps the AC keep up and helps keep the K9 cool. So good in fact I just peaked and re-tinted my wife’s 4Runner.

Went with Rayno S-9 ceramic. 20% front and 5% rear. Unbelievable heat rejection.

F0256240-C2DF-4541-B112-6F7DE9B7172C.jpeg

I went 20% on all windows Black Ceramic by Autobahn - i perviously did Huper Optik ceramic. I feel the extra $150 is worth paying for ceramic. The heat rejection is truly amazing.

I went Rayno S9, installed by Pure Precision right up the road from you in Clearwater: Window Tinting Services | Pure Precision Custom Detailing | Clearwater

The owner is Adam Bowles. . .good guy.

Thanks everyone for your input, greatly appreciated. The Rayno S9 looks like the right call. Have any of you installed it on the full windshield? I did that with a tint from Huper Optik and in the blazing hot sun, the dash never got hot. Any experience with it on the windshield?

Thanks everyone for your input, greatly appreciated. The Rayno S9 looks like the right call. Have any of you installed it on the full windshield? I did that with a tint from Huper Optik and in the blazing hot sun, the dash never got hot. Any experience with it on the windshield?

Actually, I should clarify. The front driver/passenger windows and sunroof are S9. All the rear windows and the windshield were done in Air7090 which is one of Rayno's architectural films. I went this route as I wanted maximum light transmission through the windshield while still achieving heat reduction. Plus, law enforcement can't really tell the windshield is tinted. The S9 series doesn't have a "clear" tint. I used the same on the rear windows as they're already tinted from the factory and I wanted to match the fronts as closely as possible. The fronts and rears are very close in tint level with this combination.

Any of you have issues when driving out of state? Tint laws vary pretty widely by state and tint is the perfect excuse for a cop to pull you over. Anyone experienced anything like that?

Never had issues and i'm had my windows illegal for 10+ years. Mine are not ridiculously dark and i do not have the front windshield tinted.

I'm having some trouble choosing the correct tint %'s.

While I'm pretty sure I'd like 35% ceramic on the driver's and front passenger's windows, is it worthwhile to install the same on top of the factory privacy glass in the rear of a 2020?

Would there be a significant gain in heat reduction? Would it look odd with ceramic on front and factory on rear?

Also, is it worth doing a 70% on the windshield? My truck sits outside almost year round, but I do use a sun shade in the windshield.

Thanks for any guidance!

I'm having some trouble choosing the correct tint %'s.

While I'm pretty sure I'd like 35% ceramic on the driver's and front passenger's windows, is it worthwhile to install the same on top of the factory privacy glass in the rear of a 2020?

Would there be a significant gain in heat reduction? Would it look odd with ceramic on front and factory on rear?

Also, is it worth doing a 70% on the windshield? My truck sits outside almost year round, but I do use a sun shade in the windshield.

Thanks for any guidance!
This is what I did on mine and couldn't be happier in Florida sun/heat. The front side windows match nicely with the rears:

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 11.57.51 AM.png

This is what I did on mine and couldn't be happier in Florida sun/heat. The front side windows match nicely with the rears:

View attachment 2572010
Great, thanks for this.

Would you consider the windshield and back window "must do's" (or was it more a function of "why not do it at same time")?

Great, thanks for this.

Would you consider the windshield and back window "must do's" (or was it more a function of "why not do it at same time")?

In Florida, given the size of the windshield, it was a “must”. The back window was more of a “why not” for all around consistency.

I don't think the factory "privacy" glass actually provides much heat reduction. I really like tinting the windshield as it's a huge piece of glass and it makes a big difference on hot sunny days while driving. I'll use a sun shade while parked on the really hot days, but I definitely notice the improvement while on the move.

I used Llumar FormulaOne Stratos:
Windshield: 70%
Front Driver/Passenger/Sunroof: 35%
Rest of rear: 15%

I initially wanted 5% in the rear but was warned that it would be very difficult to see out of the back in low/no light conditions. I'm happy with the 15%. I'm in CA for reference.

I only did 30% on front door windows on the 2015. I am debating what to do on the 2021. I never been fan of super dark tints and found 30% perfect in front, and factory rear enough as well. Now I want to go darker in the rear at least on the 2021 for added cargo security. Debatable of course, but if a crook can't see something, hopefully he won't try getting inside to check.

Wondering if 20% on the rear windows would be too much when combined with the factory tint, especially the hatch? Maybe 30% on top of the factory tint would be enough?

The other pieces of the security scheme for me will be the Slee rear bumper and a cargo barrier. I was not going with drawers, but it's becoming an attractive option from security POV: between the barrier, locked swing-outs and the drawers one would have to really spend some time and effort to get to the stuff inside drawers. Plus the ARB cargo barrier while spendy seems really stout (current plan is for Kaon which can be rather easily defeated by pulling headrests).

This is mostly about security at trail-heads and occasional city stops.

I used to use Huper but switched to llumar IRX for my new one. I did 40% on the backs and windshield and 15% on the front driver and passenger (which meter about 20 ish). SUPER happy with it and no issues with visibility outside whatsoever. Would recommend it 100%.

CF8DADE3-942E-45CC-AF39-77C951F10979.jpeg

I used to use Huper but switched to llumar IRX for my new one. I did 40% on the backs and windshield and 15% on the front driver and passenger (which meter about 20 ish). SUPER happy with it and no issues with visibility outside whatsoever. Would recommend it 100%.

View attachment 2586329

Cool. 40% combined with the factory tint - probably still possible to see what's inside if you stick your face to the window?

Cool. 40% combined with the factory tint - probably still possible to see what's inside if you stick your face to the window?
Do you have a Mass tint waiver? With the video oversight they are strict at my inspection station and measure to ensure you're not darker than 35% anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom