Timing Gears, Tensioners, Chain Guides, Timing Cover, Valley Plate, Water Pump, Gaskets Galore! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.usedpartswasher.com
Hi Guys & Gals,

Took my 2011 Land Cruiser with 228,000 miles into Toyota to get new brakes. While there they let me know the radiator was toast.

So I had them replace it.

A little history, I purchased this truck back in September with around 217,000 miles for $18,000.00
It was a one owner, and had around $7,0000.00 worth or receipts.
34673F91-4FD2-4625-B548-51636A07A51A.png
727D3827-4926-4375-BB33-45457060EF1C.jpeg

Several months ago I noticed an annoying sound on cold starts, here is a video of the exact sound.

While in for this service the tech heard and diagnosed it. He said this is the first land cruiser he's seen it with but has repaired lots of Tundra's. That would make sense as they don't sell many LC's.

My experience in Tulsa has been Toyota always quotes high, and the Lexus dealership gives me better prices. This time was no different. Also the Lexus tech's seem to know the Land Cruiser better as the LX570 is so common for them.

Also, just a little FYI back in 2016 the same Lexus Dealership replaced one Tensioner for me on my 08 LC at 150,000 miles. (Same Tech)

So I've just spent a large chunk of money to have all of the Tensioners, and other timing components replaced. Went ahead and had them replace the water pump while they had it appart. They resealed the leaking timing cover, and replaced a ton of Gaskets. Also the Valley Pan was leaking, here's a picture from it.

Last edited:
IMG_6695.JPG

Hopefully I'm good to go for a long time. I do have to say, having owned several high mileage cruisers the 4.7 is much easier on your pocket book.

Yikes! A bit more appreciative of the 2uz now.

Grim that 2 of your 5.7s have needed tensioners. I thought the guides were metal and we're fairly stout to high mileage

Grim that 2 of your 5.7s have needed tensioners. I thought the guides were metal and we're fairly stout to high mileage

Google Toyota 5.7 Timing Tensioners, etc. You will be surprised at how common it is.

I unfortunately have the beginnings of that same clicking noise after cold start and driving a short distance. They said it wasn’t bad enough to replace everything yet but I’m not looking forward to that bill.

Hi Guys & Gals,

Took my 2011 Land Cruiser with 228,000 miles into Toyota to get new brakes. While there they let me know the radiator was toast.

So I had them replace it.

A little history, I purchased this truck back in September with around 217,000 miles for $18,000.00
It was a one owner, and had around $7,0000.00 worth or receipts.
View attachment 2245376View attachment 2245377

Several months ago I noticed an annoying sound on cold starts, here is a video of the exact sound.

While in for this service the tech heard and diagnosed it. He said this is the first land cruiser he's seen it with but has repaired lots of Tundra's. That would make sense as they don't sell many LC's.

My experience in Tulsa has been Toyota always quotes high, and the Lexus dealership gives me better prices. This time was no different. Also the Lexus tech's seem to know the Land Cruiser better as the LX570 is so common for them.

Also, just a little FYI back in 2016 the same Lexus Dealership replaced one Tensioner for me on my 08 LC at 150,000 miles. (Same Tech)

So I've just spent a large chunk of money to have all of the Tensioners, and other timing components replaced. Went ahead and had them replace the water pump while they had it appart. They resealed the leaking timing cover, and replaced a ton of Gaskets. Also the Valley Pan was leaking, here's a picture from it.

Did you happen to get the old parts? i’m curious what these tensioners are doing. What’s the failure mode.

View attachment 2245348

Hopefully I'm good to go for a long time. I do have to say, having owned several high mileage cruisers the 4.7 is much easier on your pocket book.

That 130hp though..

The issue isn’t the guides, it’s the tensioner assemblies. I’ve had the issue intermittently as well.

S
Did you happen to get the old parts? i’m curious what these tensioners are doing. What’s the failure mode.

That 130hp though..

The issue isn’t the guides, it’s the tensioner assemblies. I’ve had the issue intermittently as well.
Sorry Bloc I did not. They did say the timing chain was in excellent condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom