Timing gear off/on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having an oil leak from the timing gear cover. Several people indicated that the brass oiler was threaded too far into the timing plate. I have the timing gear cover off and have removed the oiler. I suspect that I will need to replace the paper gasket that goes between the timing plate and the engine block. I would hate to stick it all back together and find it still leaking. Herein lies the problem. The timing plate is behind the timing gear, so the timing gear has to come off. I think it will come off with the proper puller, but how will I get it back on? The FSM shows the timing gear being pressed on the camshaft with the cam OUT of the engine. Please tell me that there is an easier way than to pull the Cam! Can I heat the timing gear to make it expand? I have been advised not to hit the cam because it will knock out an oil plug in the back of the engine.

Model/year

Sorry, its a 1986 FJ60 with 2F engine

Pull the camshaft out with the gear on it. Its not as hard as it sounds. BTW heat will trash the rubber joint in the OE timing gear.

heat worked

We got the timing gear off with a puller and put it back on without removing the camshaft. I put the timing gear in the oven at 250 degrees for a while before putting it on. We also "cheated" a little by removing the fuel pump and holding the cam forward with a big screwdriver caught behind the fuel pump lobe of the cam. Now it is not leaking. We did find that the oiler was too far in on the timing plate.

no rubber ring

No rubber ring in the timing gear. There is a rubber ring seal on the timing gear cover that the end of the crank shaft goes through. Fortunately, it is not leaking.

no rubber

The gear was solid steel. I put it in the oven at 250 degrees for quite a while. I would not have been able to do that with rubber or plastic. (1986 FJ60).

The OE gear is two steel pieces bonded together with a thin ring of rubber. When I rebuilt my engine, the machine shop rec'd the more expensive OE over the one piece aftermarket gear as it cuts done on some of the noise.

Rubber/no rubber?

Great Info!!
I'll be going in there soon as well. I'm still a little fuzzy on the rubber/teflon in the ring. Hworm, did you say there was absolutley no rubber in there? 250* is'nt really that hot, but it seems like it wouldn't be that good for any nonmetal pieces. If its still OE then according to other posts there is a thin rubber band in there for noise. Has you engine been rebuilt?

I like the feul pump trick! I'll be sure to do that one as well.

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom