Timing Gear Cover gasket tear (1 Viewer)

I am about to replace my timing cover gasket again since the first one tore from over torquing. The 6mm bolts were torqued to 43in/lbs and the 2 10mm bolts to 18ft/lbs. I may have misread what the correct torque spec should be and just do not want to have to do it a third time. I have a 1974 FJ40 F.5 and my FSM for the F engine says 12ft/lbs which seems too much for cork after seeing my torn gasket. I know this topic has been all over the forum, but I wanted some clarity. Thank you in advance for any advice.

IMG_0178.jpeg

That picture shows massive gasket trauma, either due to gross overtorquing or a very low quality gasket. I can't imagine 12 lb-ft on that cover crushing a genuine Toyota gasket.

At the risk of suggesting you do it again, are you using genuine Toyota parts, or at least Fel Pro or a very good name brand? There are some real crap gaskets out there....perhaps this is one of them?

Just my opinion, but it’s just a thin sheet metal cover, and you’re only holding it in place and keeping the oil from seeping out. The factory fastener torque recommendations for type & grade of fastener apply only to the fasteners, regardless of the application. It’s the lock washers that keep them from loosening. If the gasket got crushed, there’s a good chance the flange has deformed as well. You’ll need to flatten it (carefully) back to original shape and start over with new gasket and a high quality gasket sealant. I would tighten the screws just enough to flatten the (new) lock washers, and watch for signs of leaking. 👍

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
/this\

Straighten the cover. Apply only the thinnest coat of sealer; let the cork do what it does best. Don’t torque the bolts all the way initially. Wait a day until the sealant is dry, so it’s not acting like a lubricant, helping to deform the gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom