Timing gear cover frustration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any tips that someone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what's been done so far. Timing cover plate inspected/straightened out with anvil and hammer(only light touch up needed). Removed all old gasket material from both plate and front of engine. New Toyota seal installed in timing cover. A nice bead of FIGP was applied to timing cover, let it dry for 20 mins before adding Toyota cork gasket. Applied a small bead of FIGP on the gasket to engine face. All OE bolts wire wheel cleaned, bolted back in proper sequence. Loctite Hi temp thread sealant applied to two lower bolts. Installed harmonic and centered timing cover plate around balancer. All bolts set to proper torque using inch pound torque wrench.

There is no leaking at all from around the hb seal and it appears there's no leaking from the cork timing cover gasket. It looks to me the source of oil is from the two 14 mm head bolts. Not sure why because I used a good amount of thread sealant and let it dry for 2 days before adding engine oil.

PXL_20220902_001053735.jpg

Two lower bolts pulled. I got to say I'm pretty unimpressed with this thread sealant. It's still very viscous and runny looking on the threads after more than 2 days of dry time.

PXL_20220902_011223612.jpg

Two lower bolts pulled. I got to say I'm pretty unimpressed with this thread sealant. It's still very viscous and runny looking on the threads after more than 2 days of dry time.

View attachment 3103812
How old is that sealant?

I think I used black rtv on mine, not that it doesn't leak as well.

Just bought it last week. I'm considering using Teflon tape at this point. I'm just not sure if it'll melt off overtime.
Teflon tape is not a sealant, it’s only used on the threads to reduce friction so that you can tighten the joint
to the point where the thread seals.

You should use silicon or some other type of thread sealer.

I use this permeated Super 300 on anything into an oil or water passage.
image.jpg

When I did mine over the winter, I followed essentially the same process as you, but I used Toyota 103 FPIG on those 14mm bolts. No leaks so far.

FWIW: When it comes to thread sealants, I use this one:

IMG_9832.jpg

However, having to replace a leaking fuel pump block-off plate, I used the below on the gasket & bolt threads. After a few hundred miles, no leaks (knock on wood)...

1662124332626.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom