Timing cover seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hope is not a plan. That squeaky seal spring motivated me to do the plate gasket, too. During the first two attempts I was hoping the plate gasket wasn’t the source of the leak. It was. I was going to be in this this for the long haul anyway. Glad it wasn’t the 4th try.

FF3998CC-E7CB-47A2-9E1A-423242024455.jpeg

On the valve train keep in mind there are two exit holes in each rocker, I totally disassembled mine and was glad I did. I had lots of blockages, and it took wires, torch tip cleaners, spray junk and compressed air to clean out each hole. The crud in the holes was like burnt crusty stuff. Yours may not be as bad as mine was but you’ll have to make that call whether to disassemble or not.

Wow, you are getting in there. How's the cam look since you have it out?

The cam seems generally clean and smooth. The truck has 135K real miles with no known motor issues. I was expecting it be OK. The gears are clean and don’t show much wear.

119CF4B5-F40E-472C-82B8-3F32DD9A8380.jpeg

On the valve train keep in mind there are two exit holes in each rocker, I totally disassembled mine and was glad I did. I had lots of blockages, and it took wires, torch tip cleaners, spray junk and compressed air to clean out each hole. The crud in the holes was like burnt crusty stuff. Yours may not be as bad as mine was but you’ll have to make that call whether to disassemble or not.
Thanks for the tip. Will check that out.

Just checking: are you aware of the oil squirter in the cam plate and the importance of not screwing it in too deep?

Just checking: are you aware of the oil squirter in the cam plate and the importance of not screwing it in too deep?
Check. Been doing a bunch of reading in prep for the re-install and that’s one of the things that I probably won‘t mess up.

Resolved.

I tried just about every wrong way to replace a timing cover seal. In the end, it was worth the time it took to yank all the parts on the passenger side of the motor, get that cover off, pull the cam and timing plate, and replace all the related gaskets. I’ve developed a good relationship with FIPG. Those gaskets were old and needed replacing anyway.

No more squeal. Aside from the issues discussed earlier in the thread, I do not believe I had the timing cover seal seated all the way into the cover.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Oh ya, one detail that’s easy to overlook. The two bolts that secure the cam collar to the timing plate require only 7 to 12 lbs of torque. You’d think they should be very tight, but no. Add some thread-locker juice to the bolts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom