Timing cover seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought the notch was just to get over the key but no locating beyond that. Can you measure where that black mark was to the inner end of the balancer? Basically try to take some measurements to ensure the balancer is seating far enough?

This is what I thought, too. I think the notch just allows you to place it against the gear.

I just took mine off this week, same situation, the notch is not engaged with the keyway.

ED3CA397-7B03-4733-BF40-331A766C452F.jpeg

@Skreddy, thanks for the tip about not tightening the cover until the pulley is reinstalled, I would’ve missed that.

I just took mine off this week, same situation, the notch is not engaged with the keyway.

View attachment 2954321

@Skreddy, thanks for the tip about not tightening the cover until the pulley is reinstalled, I would’ve missed that.
Glad to pass it on. I learned it from others on here but it doesn’t hurt to repeat it.

I believe the noise you are hearing is the HD rubbing on the cover. You can see the witness marks on the dampener end. Inside the cover is a spiral cut casting of sorts that helps limit the oil from being directly up against the back of the seal and walk it back towards the block. A thin coat of lube on the end of the crank to aid the HD to slide into place, a small amount of lube on the seal surface of the HD and tighten the crank bolt to spec then float the cover around until you feel the seal is riding evenly on the HD and tighten cover bolts in sequence and to FSM specs and you shouldn’t hear that noise.
type of lube makes no difference… just slippery substance to help not ruin the seal.

BTW…mine made a small squeak noise too.

Last edited:
I've been curious about that notch in the slinger. This is the slinger on my 74 F.5. The notch doesn't engage with the crank gear keyway.
Ah! You have a better pic than me. I was trying to remember from years ago and my pic is obscured with assembly grease. I was thinking the crank gear keyway extended out beyond the gear but not so as your pic shows. I have a 74 F.5 also. So my suggestion is out.

Gasket 03a.jpg

Great info @Blastservices. I now have another cover gasket and seal (perks of living not too far from SOR). If the squeal/squeak/whistle/nuisance doesn’t go away soon, it will be interesting to see what evidence appears after I tear it apart a 3rd time. I didn’t wiggle the cover firmly when the pulley was seated and I think I’ll need to be a bit more forceful next time. Perhaps that’s the cause. I’m glad I didn’t fill her up with coolant.

It stopped doing the noise after a decent drive today, so I’ll start her up tomorrow morning and try and get an audio recording if it returns. Hearing the noise might help future generations.

Hi all. Below is a video with decent sound. Some things to keep in mind ...

- My engine isn't warmed up.
- Belts are disconnected.
- All my vacuum lines are connected. I'm 99.5% sure I have no leaks.
- The sound is absolutely coming from around the timing cover.
- It does kinda sound like a whistle ... I guess? But it didn't whistle with the old seal ... which was prob original from '78. It also leaked and was pretty hard.
- My PCV is working (it's new even) and the sound exists regardless of whether the PCV is connected or not to the side cover tube-thing. A while back I replaced the PCV and grommet because that thing was in fact whistling. No whistles/squeals anywhere until the timing cover seal repair.
- I have no vacuum ports blocked. It's totally stock in there.
- I can't tell whether or not the this sound is a whistle from air blowing by the timing cover seal or a squeal due to rubbing. It's kinda weird how it changes pitch. Seems whistle-like. Also, this sound completely goes away after she's driven and warmed up. It doesn't necessarily get louder (not much I guess) as RPMs increase. Also, as the engine gets louder you either can't hear the whistle over the engine noise or it goes away. Not sure.
- One other odd thing. On a coldish start at normal idle, the noise doesn't immeadiatly occur. But a quick ramp of RMPs will kick the noise into gear, like using the choke. Once the noise starts, it's pretty consistent until the engine is warm.

- Ummm lastly ... I don't know exactly what-all is involved in equalizing pressure in the crankcase. I could possible have a blockage somewhere that's creating pressure build up ... or a vacuum. Not sure which way air is trying to go in there.

Now please sit back and relax, and enjoy the smooth sounds of a cold 2F running without choke.

Real quick test to see if it’s sucking air: pull the oil fill cap out of the valve cover and run it. If it goes away, it’s sucking air.
I think that sounds like a metal on metal squeal. Like blastservices said, I bet it’s the inner end of the balancer on the metal behind the cover seal. Likely explains the grooves on the inner end of your balancer. Little dremel/file clearance for on the cover should fix it?

Taking off the cap doesn’t fix it. So, I could see how the timing cover perhaps became vertically tweaked a little bit, pushing that metal spacer off of a horizontal plane… and bringing it into contact with the pulley. Joy. Looking forward to try #3 this weekend.

Thanks all.

You know that thin spring that wraps around the inside of the lip on the cover seal? The one that keeps the seal snug on the pulley nose? If that little jerk of a spring falls off the seal, it’ll create a squeaky noise. Just FYI.

Mine was both off and broken. Silver lining is that I’m going to replace all the other nearby gaskets while I’m in the area. I should’ve done that in the first place. Side cover gasket, the one behind the timing plate, fuel pump and oil filter. I think I have another leak or 3 around there anyway… so in for a penny.

I could see how the timing cover perhaps became vertically tweaked a little bit, pushing that metal spacer off of a horizontal plane

I wonder if you could temporarily install the cover without the seal and measure the gap around the crank shaft to see if the cover got distorted off center.
Seal 01.jpg

You may get a kick out of my blunder when I did my seal change. “HERE”
Fortunately, a very nice mud member here sent me good used cover for free. I wish I could remember who it was. Maybe he’ll see this and remind me

Yikes. I was about to knock out that spacer too, but paused just long enough to avoid that particular PITA.

Here's a dumb question that searching doesn't seem to answer ... Do you press in this seal in dry? Talking about the outside of the seal that mates with the timing cover.

And I do have a stethoscope on order from Jeff Bezos' company (can't recall the name)... but I'm sure the squeak came from the timing cover. No scope in the shop, but I did have a tube handy to track down the noise.

My noise wasn’t a metallic dragging noise like I hear in your video it was literally identical to a slight belt squeak. Videos are tough to interpret for me. The sound isn’t live. The dampener on your engine is also tough to identify what’s actually going on. The dark black line… can’t you take some fine Emory cloth and clean that snout very nicely and get all the black off? There should be a witness mark on the snout that’s telling you “hey here I am” as far as a shiney fresh wear spot if the crank is low in one half of the front bearing and actually wearing on the cover . It’s the wear spots you sea closest to the end of the snout .
Try another manufactures seal? Got to change some of the simple variables each time you do this repair.
Keep at it! You’ll get it!

Do you press in this seal in dry?
Can't remember what I did but I know I wouldn't have done it dry. (no jokes please) At least grease. And a sealant would act as a lubricant also.

You know that thin spring that wraps around the inside of the lip on the cover seal? The one that keeps the seal snug on the pulley nose? If that little jerk of a spring falls off the seal, it’ll create a squeaky noise. Just FYI.

Mine was both off and broken. Silver lining is that I’m going to replace all the other nearby gaskets while I’m in the area. I should’ve done that in the first place. Side cover gasket, the one behind the timing plate, fuel pump and oil filter. I think I have another leak or 3 around there anyway… so in for a penny.

Before installing the seal pack grease into the cavity where the spring resides. It'll help to keep the spring from popping out. A helpful tip I learned on Mud.

I see a little sludge. Anything to avoid when cleaning the valve train? Was thinking I’d degrease it and then give it a bath in clean oil. And while I’m this far into it, any advice on other proactive things I should be doing?

DDBFC722-96E2-481A-87C1-754A16D025A3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom