Timing cover seal trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
72’ 10/72 FJ40 having trouble getting the seal out of the timing gear cover. The manual says just pry out and that is NOT happening. Tried tapping through the spot in the back with no luck. The replacement seal I have is rubber, but the one in there is rubber coated metal. Any ideas before I destroy the cover?
CC220103-E5DA-42DD-9D0F-A85BAD9404A9.jpeg

FD426AEA-3F1D-4244-976E-30EF4D87AAB7.jpeg

A seal puller is a good tool to have.

Your new seal is for sure a metal core that's coated with "rubber" like the old one. Get some blocks or something to lift it up off your table or whatever and beat that baby out of there from the back side. Use the opening in the back and also beat along the outer seal surface (see lovely arrow drawing) with a hammer and punch. Your going to absolutely destroy the old seal but it'll come out.

CC220103-E5DA-42DD-9D0F-A85BAD9404A9.jpeg

1675357713490.png

I used a punch from inside the cover. Just don't whack the labyrinth behind the seal or heat.

The labryrinth is soldered in and reportedly melts away, particularly in powder coating ovens.

I "Destroyed" a cover in the past so doing it again recently, I was able to use a 2 jaw puller. I didn't have the right size piece of pipe on hand but a spare drill press column sleeve worked out.

TcoverSeal A.jpg

TcoverSeal B.jpg

TcoverSeal C.jpg

I had the same problem yesterday. Didn't want to warp anything with the extreme force I was exerting so I sprayed it down with the foaming liquid wrench and let it sit over night. This morning it popped right out with a screwdriver with minimal effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom