Timing cover front seal removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I made another mistake of "while I'm there I might as well replace xxx" and tried to remove the front timing cover seal without success and possibly destroyed it in the process. How am I supposed to remove this seal to change it to a new one? So far I've only tried the brute force hammer method...which I take it wasn't the best idea.

510517CA-9169-4873-BDA7-9947F936775D.jpeg

0DEBE7BF-66FE-4F59-B369-ACFFC839D927.jpeg

@Igotmearedone

The backside picture (#2, above) shows the labryrinth, not the seal. Don't touch it!

First, make sure you know the difference between the seal and the labyrinth behind the seal:
1596819424726.png

you could use a punch to push out the seal from the inside of the timing cover, just don't touch the labyrinth that backs up the seal from behind.
Also, don't use heat, since @Coolerman reported he tried to powder coat the timing cover and the solder melted!

Last edited:
Don't do what I did. "OOPS"

Definitely touched the labyrinth and hammered it and the part is definitely recently powder coated

Since it sounds like I need to buy a new one, any difference between the F, F.5, and 2F timing cover? I have an F.5

@Igotmearedone nothing is different between the covers, except for a tab for a cooling line on FJ62's. Due to making similar mistakes I have put a 2f, 3fe and now F timing cover on my 1981 2F engine and can confirm their cross-functionality.

Last edited:
@Igotmearedone

Send a message to pardion here on 'Mud. Fair prices, no minimum purchase, reasonable shipping.

I'd add service with a smile, but I've only bought from him, and we've never met!

Thanks everyone, just bought from @Drake2. Much like project wrong way, the whole process of doing it wrong and learning is half the fun...but a little tough on the wallet

Use the old seal to tap in the new seal. If it is buggered then a suitably sized socket or PVC pipe/fitting from HD.

Last edited:
labyrinth

I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom