timing cover bearing, crack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok not sure if its actually a bearing, but in the process of replacing the timing cover gaskets we notice on the INTERIOR side of the timing cover opening, there is like a metal ring/bearing of sorts. Again this is on the REAR side, the FRONT side (of the timing cover) has the rubber front ring seal.

Well this REAR side "bearing" is missing piece out of the race! I'll get picture soon.

Is the only fix to replace the timing cover? Anyone know if you can just get that bearing?

Last edited:
I need a pic. Only thing I recall that goes in there is a seal, easily replaceable.

Pix added

You can see there are some missing material, yikes! Do I need to replace the whole thing or is there a part # for this?

Front main seal on the FRONT of the cover

Last edited:
Press out....press in:)

part # or specs?

034B.gif

Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Search On 034-29

Check your local Toyota parts desk or one of the vendors here!

S&S1stCruzer said:
I thinks that the rubber front main seal. I have that. It's the metal bearing that chewed up, unless I'm way off base here.

No bearing. Just a seal. Mine is shot too. Possible causes:
Lots of dirt an debris
Loose pulley
Loose timing gear cover
Uncentered TG cover
Walking/wandering crank shaft
Worn out pulley
Worn out crank

Sent from technology I can't control using the IH8MUD app.

No bearing. Just a seal. Mine is shot too. Possible causes:
Lots of dirt an debris
Loose pulley
Loose timing gear cover
Uncentered TG cover
Walking/wandering crank shaft
Worn out pulley
Worn out crank

I'll have to dig up the seal and check it out, I dont remember it having a metal race. Thought It just look like a thick rubber seal.

S&S1stCruzer said:
I'll have to dig up the seal and check it out, I dont remember it having a metal race. Thought It just look like a thick rubber seal.

Iirc it is similar in design to a pinion seal.

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Ok not sure if its actually a bearing,

Nope, not a bearing. I looked at my trail spare timing cover and took it apart.
Looks like some sort of oil slinger in reverse...
100_0386.jpg
100_0389.jpg

Nope, not a bearing. I looked at my trail spare timing cover and took it apart.
Looks like some sort of oil slinger in reverse...

So it's in addition to the seal, right, as in not part of the seal you would buy?

If that's correct anyone ever pickone up from toyota or is it part of the timing cover? Since mine is fubar, going to need to find one.

Front timing cover

Not a bearing.

It is a slinger. Has an acme type thread cut into the "bushing" The rotation of the crank is only in one direction unless you run it backwards if it backfires. The bushing with the thread cut in it has fairly tight clearance between the crank nose and the "bushing" It acts like a pump forcing the oil back into the timing cover and gears, thereby putting less stress on the real oil seal. Just another way MrT over engineers the TLC. The engineering term is spiral-thread clearance seals, also called Archimedes type seals. Many British car engines used this type of seal only, on the rear main seal without the rubber type seal. They leaked when they sat so left the tell tale sign on the pavement( tarseal).

Thanks jb

Not a bearing.

It is a slinger. Has an acme type thread cut into the "bushing" The rotation of the crank is only in one direction unless you run it backwards if it backfires. The bushing with the thread cut in it has fairly tight clearance between the crank nose and the "bushing" It acts like a pump forcing the oil back into the timing cover and gears, thereby putting less stress on the real oil seal. Just another way MrT over engineers the TLC. The engineering term is spiral-thread clearance seals, also called Archimedes type seals. Many British car engines used this type of seal only, on the rear main seal without the rubber type seal. They leaked when they sat so left the tell tale sign on the pavement( tarseal).

Thanks jb

Interesting, where would I source? Is it a Toyota part?

Ordered one from Mr T. and it looks different? Did they update them or is the wrong one?

Sometimes, Toyota updates things...that looks like it'll hold oil oil as well as the old-fashioned one...if you like, I'll sell you my old used one.

working on the front main for the blue pig now...looking at manuals for torque specs and noticed earlier 2f manual shows the slinger, later 2f manual does not. not sure what year the issue with the slinger is for as it was a 1986 reprint, but the one sans slinger is listed as aug1980. did the slinger go away then, or did it go away earlier? and why?
l.jpg
m.jpg

I think you are correct - later 2F's don't have the oil slinger.
Posted this Q before.
I reckon the trick to get high mileage from this seal is to install the timing cover with new seal installed and let it relax on the pulley shaft it seals against "with the crank shaft pulley big nut tightened".
This centers the seal on the crank shaft end.
Put some white grease for "rubber to metal" lubrication in the seal groove.
THEN, tighten the small timing cover bolts.
If you tighten the timing cover nuts first, it may not be centered (heat up) and wear prematurely.
Of course it's important that the crank end is smooth.

some pics for future reference of the slinger and the "slinger in reverse" as pighead calls it(since i have no clue what to call it), from my 76 ish motor
ccticket10 027.jpg
ccticket10 031.jpg
ccticket10 032.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom