Timing chain cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are the timing chain covers from the dual row the same as single row?? (83 dual row to 84 single row) Thanks

As long as your engine is the "earlier" '84 engine (higher deck height, pre 8/84), then yes they are the same. I had a 3/84 truck at one time that i converted to a dual-row chain, all I had to do was swap the sprockets, guides, tensioner, and chain.

Yep, your cool 75-84. And if you see this, stop.

timing cover difference2.jpg
timing cover difference.jpg

Thanks a lot for input. Chain wore right through the cover spilling coolant into my engine oil. Thankfully i have a spare 22r in the toolshed. Annoying thing is that the timing chain and guides were new, only the "quality" plastic guide broke and thus my problem.

Thanks a lot for input. Chain wore right through the cover spilling coolant into my engine oil. Thankfully i have a spare 22r in the toolshed. Annoying thing is that the timing chain and guides were new, only the "quality" plastic guide broke and thus my problem.

Check this out...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyo...timing-chain-easiest-way-lower-front-dif.html

Go on down a few, then it gets to some info you could use.

you have the deck height for it AND the Dual row guides I believe will fit under it.

At least get those guides.

The cover from my 83 22r is different from my april 84 22r, also i tried to put a new dual row chain in from 83 and it would not fit( too big ). When you put your dual row chain in, did it seem a bit too sloppy to you? mine would actually skip when i turned over the crankshaft.

The cover from my 83 22r is different from my april 84 22r, also i tried to put a new dual row chain in from 83 and it would not fit( too big ). When you put your dual row chain in, did it seem a bit too sloppy to you? mine would actually skip when i turned over the crankshaft.

off the top of my head,

I'd say that 1: you're not keeping the chain taught from the top side. I don't have a pic sorry. But I use wire, and pinch the chain under the top timing sprocket to hold it up till I can put it on the cam.

and 2: there is some little tiny weeny metal fins around the bottom that would normally keep your chain on. But they are common IMO to break and its no biggie, you must keep it taught from the top.

:hmm:if you're turning your motor and its skipping on the crank, something that keeps pressure on the chain is missing? :hmm:

And when you say "too big" do you mean the guides are too wide for the cover to fit on the block?...huh..:hmm:

And BTW, I meant to tell you, I've never seen the plastic guide on the slack side break.
At least get the tension side but the slack can be a option, and it'll cut down on the cost and fabing.

I've never seen the plastic guide on the slack side break.
Both sides on my were broken into many pieces. I am guessing that I ran it too long after the drivers side busted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom