Timing Chain Cover Removal 1FZFE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone confirm if the cylinder head has to come off to remove the timing chain cover? FSM includes it as a step but certainly don't want to if I can avoid. Managed to mangle the timing chain cover trying to get the oil pump screws and oil pump cover off. Now leaks even worse than before. Hope I can salvage it but looks like I will need to replace the whole cover. Not a good day

The cams do not have to come out. The valve cover does need to come off. It is possible to remove the timing cover without removing the head.

It took me 27 hours to complete that job and I would never do it that way again.

The cams do not have to come out. The valve cover does need to come off. It is possible to remove the timing cover without removing the head.

It took me 27 hours to complete that job and I would never do it that way again.
I have my head off, any thoughts on removing timing chain cover with oil pans on?

My thought was if the lower studs were off the timing chain cover I might be able to make a good deal but I don't want to "hope" that will work.

I have my head off, any thoughts on removing timing chain cover with oil pans on?

My thought was if the lower studs were off the timing chain cover I might be able to make a good deal but I don't want to "hope" that will work.

It's been 19 years and I don't remember how much room there is to work with. You need to deal with a rectangular o-ring on the bottom of the cover and you may need to lift the cover up slightly to get it off and on. That means you would need to pull the oil pump cover and gears and also the crank seal to be able lift the cover.

It's been 19 years and I don't remember how much room there is to work with. You need to deal with a rectangular o-ring on the bottom of the cover and you may need to lift the cover up slightly to get it off and on. That means you would need to pull the oil pump cover and gears and also the crank seal to be able lift the cover.
Thanks 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom