Timing Belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! I just bought a 98 cruiser with 108K miles on it. Should I change the timing belt on it soon or NOW?

Thanks for the tip....I'm going to drop it off tomorrow. Anything else I should check for while changing the TB?

I think soon would be good enough. No reported failures and So CA is an easy environment. I just had mine done for the first time at 159k.

~ $1k for TB plus water pump

Should also do the serp belt

Check for a sticker under the hood that indicates replacement. Maybe it was already done.

Local dealer does timing belt for $400. They do not recommend replacement of tensioner or waterpump due to very low failure rates.

Hello All, I just purchase a 2000 LX470 with 121K miles to replace my 1999 LX470 (265K) that was hit and deemed a total loss. Overall, the 2000 it's in excellent condition. However, I have one MAJOR CONCERN. The original owner kept all service receipts...and used the local Lexus dealership for service until 2015 (83K) After that, all service work is tires, oil changes and brakes from various retailers . Anyway, the one service record I really need is missing; timing belt replacement. He says there is no way he wouldn't have done it...but can't be sure. Is there anyway to check the condition of the timing belt without actually changing the timing belt? I searched under the hood and found no service tag for the belt.

Hello All, I just purchase a 2000 LX470 with 121K miles to replace my 1999 LX470 (265K) that was hit and deemed a total loss. Overall, the 2000 it's in excellent condition. However, I have one MAJOR CONCERN. The original owner kept all service receipts...and used the local Lexus dealership for service until 2015 (83K) After that, all service work is tires, oil changes and brakes from various retailers . Anyway, the one service record I really need is missing; timing belt replacement. He says there is no way he wouldn't have done it...but can't be sure. Is there anyway to check the condition of the timing belt without actually changing the timing belt? I searched under the hood and found no service tag for the belt.

If you haven't already, you can plug in the VIN on Lexus' service website and pull the dealer records there: Lexus Service History | Lexus Drivers . Otherwise its possible to take off the timing cover to peek in to the belt somewhat easily, but out of personal experience I've found its hard to tell if its "good" or not. I've seen one with 130k on it that at the end of the day still looked decent.

If you haven't already, you can plug in the VIN on Lexus' service website and pull the dealer records there: Lexus Service History | Lexus Drivers . Otherwise its possible to take off the timing cover to peek in to the belt somewhat easily, but out of personal experience I've found its hard to tell if its "good" or not. I've seen one with 130k on it that at the end of the day still looked decent.

Thanks for the tip. I registered on the Lexus website...and it found the vehicle...but no service records or details. Strange as I have several of the dealerships service receipts. Anyway, I emailed the seller and pressed the issue...after some research on his part it was determined that the timing belt has not been changed. So, that's number one on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom