Timing Belt Working Space Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my never ending quest to out-brain myself, I'm over-analyzing how to set up shop for my '05 LC TB job. Looking at three options:

1. pull in garage bay, with MaxJax lift. I can lift vehicle zero, little or max, as desired. Easy wheel removal when desired. Downside - limited space in front of vehicle. So much so, I can not use my Top-Side creeper to work comfortably above the front engine bay.
  2. Back into same garage spot, perhaps with lifting option, but with front end up against garage door. So all work must be with garage door open. I could use the Top-Side creeper, but it's freakin winter here in NJ.
  3. Site tight. Wait for Spring, and do the job in the driveway. No lift, but plenty of room for the creeper.

Having trouble picking my poison. To those that have done the job before, it might be obvious either which option is best, or that I'm over-ANALyzing again.

I did mine in my driveway. No need to lift the vehicle. Any getting under it is just in the front of the engine and can be done from the ground. From your options, I'd back it in the garage and work with the door open. That will at least keep you out of the weather.

Most important part is having enough room to lay out and organize the parts, nuts and bolts you remove.

I always use something like this with little pieces of paper to keep track of nuts and bolts.. or a cardboard template for bolts of varying sizes

image.jpg

I did mine in my driveway. No need to lift the vehicle. Any getting under it is just in the front of the engine and can be done from the ground. From your options, I'd back it in the garage and work with the door open. That will at least keep you out of the weather.

Most important part is having enough room to lay out and organize the parts, nuts and bolts you remove.
👆🏽This.

If you take a big sheet of cardboard you can literally stick bolts and parts on it in the sequence you remove them. Write everything with a permanent marker. I like to write torque values next to them along with notes "put CPS wire behind this fan bracket" etc. Then assemble in reverse.

Backing in sounds better, plus more natural light and you can lock things up in the evening if it goes multiple days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom