Timing belt on 1994 fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wzs driving and truck died (never happens) and pulled over to restart truck and it has a odd cranking sound now and not starting.
Timing belt and if it is did valvues hit piston or is it not that style head.
Any other ideas. Waiting for tow truck toget here so i can start looking at it.
Any other idea's please let me know
Kenny

1fz has no timing belt...chain driven

If the chain is broken the pistons will not hit the valves. You have to spin the cams just to remove them and it is not an issue.

Thank you
No one wants to help. Thought this was best forum fot toyota.

@kenthemover

Yes, we will help.

Please be more descriptive and post a video (with audio) of your cranking if possible.

We do not know your level of wrench-ability, so please help us help you.
"odd cranking sound now and not starting" is not descriptive.

We've already told you there is no timing belt. Also told you it will not interfere with the pistons, so THAT is not the issue.

Besides, if that WAS the case, it would NOT turn over. It would get to a point and lock.

So....How can you describe it more.

Not likely that the timing chain failed like that. Just speaking from personal experience, but it's always been something electrical for me. Check the black electrical plug that connects to the MAF (between your air filter and engine). The tabs on mine were worn out and it had a tendency to wiggle itself loose over time. Caused similar issues.

Pretty sure it's not the timing belt, other than that, with the info given, would be a total guess. Any running issues prior to dying, was it overheating, out of gas, with the key turned to run, is the CEL on? To get useful help, have to share some info.

Thank you
No one wants to help. Thought this was best forum fot toyota.

Did you read the link I posted for you? It should help narrow down the issue...? What have you tested so far?

You need to provide better info to get exact solutions- if you think you have a timing belt, the best move for you is to have a flatbed drop it off at @torfab ’s shop & just pay him to fix it.

Most of us who have anything over 3-4yrs here can mentally do orthographic projections of most 80 components we know best (I’m best on full OBD2/ ‘95-‘97’s) - so when you say timing belt, you’re chumming the water, bigtime.

And it means in your ~2 yrs of owning, you never read the FAQ’s or spent any time looking at your motor to any degree.

Not out to be a dick, just giving you the “aha moment”- of why you got crap answers.

No gas 80 series has a timing belt - it’s a virtue to me, and why 100 series are a non-starter & I’d jump to a bloated 200/3UR LC if I totalled my 80. And why I have a 3UR Tundra.

Have the flatbed drop it off at Torfab - sounds like you want to keep it so you’ll get good service & a fair assessment of your 80 all in 1 shop.

HTH.

Probably something distributor related, like the cap is loose or fell off?

I guess I missed the part where he specifically stated the truck had a 1fz.

His 94 could most certainly have a timing belt. Unlikely, but its possible.

Title of thread indicates 94 FJ80 which is obviously wrong but any FJ/FZJ is a gas motor 1FZ or 3F neither of which used timing belts. Highly unlikely to be an import due to 25 year importing restriction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom