Timing belt mishap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took the lx470 into the mechanic for a TB change for preventive maintenance. The mechanic is a five star on Yelp and and I’ve had good experiences with him in the past with my Tacoma and my odyssey. When I took the vehicle in, there was another guy working the cars. A few minutes after I left the vehicle I got a call from the dude, and he said he’s broken the plastic hose nipples coming off the radiator while replacing timing belts before and asked if I wanted to replace the radiator in case he breaks mines also for an extra $600. I told him no, and to try not to break the radiator if at all possible. I thought that was a given.
I got a call today and the mechanic asked if my AC compressor worked before I dropped off the vehicle, and I told him it blew cold without any issues. He said isn’t even turning on and the clutch isn’t engaging.
What could have went wrong with the timing belt replacement for the AC compressor to not engage? Hopefully the owner steps in a fixes the issue. What a headache.

Blown fuse.... DELETE 😂
Sorry, I’ve had a bad experience taking my ‘87 pickup in to replace my belts and the throttle cable seized right when I picked the truck up..... blew my engine.. PANIC MODE. I turn to the forum once something unfortunate happens.

He's likely not connected wires at AC. There are 2:

026c.jpg

They got it working.. I was just in awe because they didn’t troubleshoot before giving me a call.. and for a blown fuse!? Whatever, I’m just stoked she’s ok. Thanks @2001LC

A few minutes after I left the vehicle I got a call from the dude, and he said he’s broken the plastic hose nipples coming off the radiator while replacing timing belts before and asked if I wanted to replace the radiator in case he breaks mines also for an extra $600. I told him no, and to try not to break the radiator if at all possible. I thought that was a given.

Can you please ask him to show you which plastic hose nipples he was talking about when you pick up the car?

Can you please ask him to show you which plastic hose nipples he was talking about when you pick up the car?
I guess I miss understood him, the top of the radiator, the plastic

It's hard to keep track of the mechanic, the other guy, the dude and the owner - but you may need to look for a new repair shop.
I’m guessing he’s the apprentice? The owner is very knowledgeable and trust worthy, and he only uses OEM parts. The apprentice must’ve been mid 20’s early 30’s. Maybe just lack of experience?

BTW: In above picture I posted. What you can't see and rightly so. Is that wire harness also encases two more wires. These are the crank sensor and oil sending unit wires. You can't see because they are routed properly between fan bracket and A/C compressor. If you see these wires (pictures below), they're not routed properly. Improperly routing in front of fan bracket, may lead to wires rubbing on the drive belt. If crank sensor wire is cut (by rubbing), this will disable the engine.
Improper routing:
Engine wire harness main (1)a.JPG
Crank wire routed wrong.JPEG

Proper routing
026c.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom