Timing belt help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 100 lx started acting weird on start ups after serpantine belt snaped. I went to change the timing belt following the videos available but found that non of the markings make any sense. I'll post some of the pictures for some help. I'm at a loss here. If anybody has any advise I will greatly appreciate it.

20200913_154953.jpg

20200913_154939.jpg

Also make sure the marks on the belt match up with the crank sprocket holes.
True, but only when installing the new belt.

There are a BUNCH of threads on this and the OTRAMM videos @JunkCrzr89 posted are a must watch.

This isn't difficult, but do your homework BEFORE ripping stuff apart. And based on the condition of those belts, I'd do it sooner rather than later and count on replacing a lot while you are in there. Water pump, fan bearing, TB idler and tensioner bearing, sera idler and tensioner, hoses, etc would all be suspect with a belt that old.

Suggested Reading:

Last edited:
And based on the condition of those belts, I'd do it sooner rather than later and count on replacing a lot while you are in there. Water pump, fan bearing, TB idler and tensioner bearing, sera idler and tensioner, hoses, etc would all be suspect with a belt that old.
☝🏾Definitely. I would (and did) replace everything.

☝🏾Definitely. I would (and did) replace everything.
My first V8 timing belt job was on my LC. Please use quality parts if you plan to keep it longer. Use Mitsuboshi or Toyota-Mitsuboshi (OEM) belts only. You can get an Aisin timing belt kit which brings Mitsuboshi belt.

GMB bearings are garbage. Other aftermarket timing belts are garbage. I used a gates belt in my Toyota Sprinter and at 50K miles it started showing cracks (about 50% of what you have)

Cam and crank oil seals MUST be OEM. Be careful when removing the oil seals, especially not to damage the crank or cam polished surfaces.

I did my T-belt job at 220K miles and the oil seals were good, so I didn't R&R those. I later switched to full synthetic and they are still holding well.

My first V8 timing belt job was on my LC. Please use quality parts if you plan to keep it longer. Use Mitsuboshi or Toyota-Mitsuboshi (OEM) belts only. You can get an Aisin timing belt kit which brings Mitsuboshi belt.

GMB bearings are garbage. Other aftermarket timing belts are garbage. I used a gates belt in my Toyota Sprinter and at 50K miles it started showing cracks (about 50% of what you have)

Cam and crank oil seals MUST be OEM. Be careful when removing the oil seals, especially not to damage the crank or cam polished surfaces.

I did my T-belt job at 220K miles and the oil seals were good, so I didn't R&R those. I later switched to full synthetic and they are still holding well.
I already bought fake Chinese kit for it. Unfortunately. I don't have the money to buy original at this point. I got fooled into fake Toyota parts but at least I know my timing is way off at the crank and won't fall into fake parts again.

I already bought fake Chinese kit for it. Unfortunately. I don't have the money to buy original at this point. I got fooled into fake Toyota parts but at least I know my timing is way off at the crank and won't fall into fake parts again.

The Aisin kit is pretty affordable on Amazon and Rock Auto at ~$165. Worth not using chinesium parts if you can swing it.

buy from a reputed seller like Rockauto. Its hard to trust ebay or amazon. There is a seller called cabinman on ebay is good.

I just ordered the Aisin kit from Rock Auto a couple weeks ago. No issues, genuine article. Mitsuboshi belt, Aisin WP, Koyo idler bearings, NTN tensioner.

When I order parts from Amazon I do watch who the seller is and who fulfills the order. Maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't gotten a counterfeit part yet from either of those sources.

How do I tell if it's original?
For the Aisin TKT021 kit: AISIN stamped on water pump, Mitsuboshi printed on belt, NTN on the belt tensioner, and Koyo stamped on the idler and tensioner bearings.

Reactions: MJK
For the Aisin TKT021 kit: AISIN stamped on water pump, Mitsuboshi printed on belt, NTN on the belt tensioner, and Koyo stamped on the idler and tensioner bearings.
Interesting. No identifiers on anything but the tensioner with ntn 20 on it. Other than that no timing marks on timing belt and serpantine belt is 100 percent Chinese. I know I got taken advantage of now. All the videos comparing original to fake confirm it.

I know I got taken advantage of now. All the videos comparing original to fake confirm it.
You're not the first and certainly won't be the last, unfortunately.

Interesting. No identifiers on anything but the tensioner with ntn 20 on it. Other than that no timing marks on timing belt and serpantine belt is 100 percent Chinese. I know I got taken advantage of now. All the videos comparing original to fake confirm it.

Where did you buy the kit? Give us a link.

You are asking for trouble installing a no-name T-belt. Of all the thing to chance a lower cost option on, this is pretty near the bottom of the list.

This was my shopping list for T-belt. Add in coolant, a thermostat, a 16604-50030 serpentine idler, and heater tees from your fav online dealer to complete the list. If funds are tight, skip the bracket and do it later.

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 5.13.38 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom