Timing belt change, old belt marked "Toyota" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I contributed to another thread about an alternator change, since I had so much trouble and had to pull the radiator and a bunch of other items, I decide to do a TB change since I was planning one in the near future.

I've done the maintenance now, when I pulled the old belt, it was marked "Toyota." It's a LX470, is it possible that a dealer would have a belt marked this way? The truck now has about 27x,xxx miles on it, is it possible this is the original TB?? Can one purchase a "Toyota" branded TB still??

I think the front of the engine has been apart before (crank pulley bolt has some witness marks on it) and someone marked the crank pulley and cam pulleys.

Lexus is a Toyota with lipstick. Parts come in box that says Toyota -Lexus in almost all cases.

As prior message stated most all parts are labeled Toyota-Lexus. Just did brakes on my 06LX actually bought from Toyota and it was labeled both.

Thanks, but mainly my question is, do the timing belts come from Toyota (dealer) marked w/ "Toyota" on the TB. Just curious if they are packaging/branding the TB this way.

Thanks, but mainly my question is, do the timing belts come from Toyota (dealer) marked w/ "Toyota" on the TB. Just curious if they are packaging/branding the TB this way.
Most all belts are, yes. My serpentine belt still has the TOYOTA marking on it, not sure on age but it is pretty faded.

YES.

It is also called Toyota Cygnus in most parts in the world.

@Miljack I think other folks are missing your question. I'll take a stab.

The Toyota marking signifies it's a genuine oem part, but not necessarily from the factory new. Almost every single part that you buy from a dealer parts counter for your old vehicle comes from the exact manufacturing plant or process that alllll the original car was built from. Same tooling, often same plant, same markings.

The Toyota text doesn't signify it's the belt that was put on your vehicle in Japan. It just means it's genuine Toyota (Lexus).

Did I get closer to answering your actual question?

Yes, a replacement belt might have Toyota on it. This is a serpentine belt for a land cruiser, packaging says Toyota and Lexus, and belt has Toyota printed on it. Yea, it isn't a timing belt but close enough to make the point. My new timing belt had Mitsuboshi on it, but did not say Toyota.
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG

Yes, a replacement belt might have Toyota on it. This is a serpentine belt for a land cruiser, packaging says Toyota and Lexus, and belt has Toyota printed on it. Yea, it isn't a timing belt but close enough to make the point. My new timing belt had Mitsuboshi on it, but did not say Toyota. View attachment 2204994View attachment 2204993

Exactly. I see that with other Toyota timing belt packages. I bought one last summer like this for my Tacoma. Toyota sources parts from different manufacturers, supply chain partners, and brands owned by Toyoda. For example, Koyo bearings, Aisin water pumps, Aisan Injectors, Denso electrical, some Spicer center bearings. I've noticed Toyota purchasing engine seals and gaskets from Federal Mogul (now Tenneco) that are reboxed as National.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom