Timing belt and 190K service - 2006 LX - Is this a good price? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2006 LX is at 185K. I'm curious to get the forum's feedback on the following quotes from my local Toyota dealer. Are these reasonable prices?

Timing belt, water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, cam and crank seals, thermostat - $1,575
Trans drain and refill - $148
Injection and EFI service - $185

I will have them check the following:
fan bracket
CV axles
brake fluid
serpentine belt
ACH fluid

Differential service at 148K
Coolant flushed at 155K
Heater hose T-fittings were replaced at 162K

I've researched the other threads on recommended service at this mileage. If there is anything that anyone thinks is missing, please chime in.

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

That seems to be reasonable, considering your '06 has VVT and the cam seals are much more complicated. If you skip those, I think that drops the price considerably. I would highly recommend replacing the fan bracket. I just did mine at almost 200k and the bearings were shot.

Any leaks at your valve cover gaskets?

Those prices seem to be within the ballpark. My local dealer quoted me $1,500, but he was shooting from the hip. I've heard anywhere from $1,250 - $1,800 depending on all that they do. I'm due for my t-belt soon too, and I was going to have them throw on a new serpentine belt and fan bracket since it has to be removed anyways. I had my trans flushed by them last month, not drain and fill, and that was about $300.

That may be the normal price at a dealership but it can be done sufficiently by a good mechanic at closer to half that price.

And a good mechanic is likely to be better than the dealership. There have been a lot of horror stories at the dealership lately.

Which is why I prefer to do things myself. My 470 had TB/WP done at 100k mi by the previous owner at a Lexus dealership and when I just did it again at 200k, there was definitely some "sloppy" work uncovered.

You should seriously consider doing it yourself. Its not a bad project and kind of fun. Take whatever the labor rate would have been and buy some new tools with that.

cam and crank seals
The cam seals on your vvti are not as easy as on pre-vvti engines. If they’re going to do cam seals, then they should replace valve cover gaskets too. Nevertheless, the price they quoted you seems reasonable considering typical dealership labor rates.

Thanks for the info, guys.

The dealer said they always do the cam and crank seals and seemed familiar with how difficult they are on the VVT engine.

Sounds like I'm on the right track with the items I've having done/inspected.

@BadReligion I'm not sure if there are any leaks at the valve cover gaskets. If there are, what would you recommend? I guess if they replace the seals, they will probably change the gasket covers, as well.

Thanks for the info, guys.

The dealer said they always do the cam and crank seals and seemed familiar with how difficult they are on the VVT engine.

Sounds like I'm on the right track with the items I've having done/inspected.

@BadReligion I'm not sure if there are any leaks at the valve cover gaskets. If there are, what would you recommend? I guess if they replace the seals, they will probably change the gasket covers, as well.

If the VC gaskets are original, they start to leak at around your mileage. I'd just do a quick visual inspection, and if they look ok then no need to replace. If there is some very slight leakage, some people have *gently* tightened the valve covers and that seems to buy you some time before replacement is really needed.

If the VC gaskets are original, they start to leak at around your mileage. I'd just do a quick visual inspection, and if they look ok then no need to replace. If there is some very slight leakage, some people have *gently* tightened the valve covers and that seems to buy you some time before replacement is really needed.
BUT it’s probably irrelevant because the VCs have to be removed to replace the cam seals on vvti engine. So VC gaskets should be replaced regardless of their condition.

BUT it’s probably irrelevant because the VCs have to be removed to replace the cam seals on vvti engine. So VC gaskets should be replaced regardless of their condition.

I didn't realize that (I have a non VVT 2UZ). Then in that case absolutely change them out, along with the spark plug tube gaskets. Make sure they put in new "crush" grommets on the VC bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom