Timing belt alignment question. 89 3.0 V6 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just tearing into a timing belt replacement on my 89.

I was under the impression that the reference mark on the pulley should line up with the white paint mark. It appears that I'm off by a tooth.

However, the pulley is at 12 'o clock which I believe to be correct. Truck runs fine BTW.

Thoughts?

P1020477.JPG

A little closer...

P1020476.JPG

There is what appears to be a 'notch' that lines up in the background.

Hard to tell in the photos but this doesn't look 'OEM' when you see it in person.

P1020475.JPG

No it looks good to me. There should also be lines on the belt that will line up with the marks on the pulleys.

OK, good. There are no lines (or any other markings for that matter) on the old timing belt. It doesn't look to be in particularly bad condition but there isn't anything printed on it.

There is something odd on the other side. It looks like the pulley is on backwards. The edge with the lip on it is closer to the engine. Also, there is no triangle-thingy. I wonder if this makes it easier to get the belt on? Some kind of shade-tree trick? Can't be factory right?

Also note how the slot seems to line up with the white paint mark.

P1020478.JPG

Are you just putting the old belt back on? A new oem belt will have marks on it.

The pulleys are correct. The "lips" on the edge are opposite to keep the belt aligned. It does make it a challenge to install however.

Ignore the white paint, use the dings in the timing cover.

No, putting a new belt on (Gates). It has all the marks on it...

Thanks KLF, exactly the advice I needed! :cheers:

Bets that the white paint was from somebody else tearing into it and marking the old belt to match it up with the white lines that come on the new belt..

Every time I do a belt I mark the old one and match up the teeth between the two just to double check..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom