Timing belt alignment marks confusion and questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, so I'm currently on day 3 of timing belt job, a couple hours a day, taking breaks and such after work. I've gotten to pulling the crank pulley off. I read on the Aisin timing belt kit to align it to TDC then rotate 50 degrees. I mistakenly aligned it to the timing belt cover nub, as I thought the cam marks aligning to the "T" is the right place to put it.

After pulling off the pulley, I re-read and the instuctions on the Aisin kit say to align with the pulley mark! Uh oh. I mistakenly thought 50 degrees past TDC was the timing cover nub.

I've been reading a bunch of DIYs and watching Youtube DIY videos. Its either aligned TDC or to the pulley.

Question 1: So should I put the sproket and pulley back on and realign to the pulley or TDC?
Do I continue on with the cams pointing at the T? They point just slightly past the T, is this from the belt stretching a little bit? Should I align the cam mark after the belt comes off, directly onto the T, or just a little bit after?
Question 2: Where should the CR mark be pointing? I don't have any arrows on the current timing belt so I don't have reference.

Getting a lot of conflicting information when I do searches of the 2uz-fe timing belt alignment. Thanks! Also will be going into day 4 of the timing belt job as it looks like I have a leak from both the crank seal and the oil pan.

Pictures:

20190529_150233.jpg
20190529_150240.jpg
20190529_150319.jpg

The crank pully should have been aligned at TDC on the compression stroke then turned 50 degs. before being removed and appears to be in the proper rotation according to the keyway position. The cam sprockets should be 25 degs (half of 50 degs) past the straight line mark on the head casting. They should end up close to or a little past where they are now. The "T" marks should not be used. You will have to move the cams a little to get them matched up with the marks on the new belt as you thread the new belt on anyway.

Watch the OTRAMM video on youtube to make sure I'm not mistaken!

Last edited:
Well its looking like now I have to put the crank pulley back on and crank bolt, and then align it back up?

Not necessarily. As long as you have a means to move the cams to get them lined up with the belt marks you should be ok.
Put the belt on the crank and see how it lines up with the driver side cam pulley.

Also watch parts 1 and 2 of the videos to make sure you havent missed anything.
Part 1 shows how the pulleys should be aligned prior to disassembly.

I feel your pain on the confusion for various methods for where to set the cams- follow FSM for your model year.
On my 05 the FSM instructs to turn the crank to 0 degrees and crank pulley to the hash mark not the T.

I feel your pain on the confusion for various methods for where to set the cams- follow FSM for your model year.
On my 05 the FSM instructs to turn the crank to 0 degrees and crank pulley to the hash mark not the T.
View attachment 1989586
Yes but most of us don't have a manual for our specific year. Most, like myself only have the downloadable FSM for the 2003 or 2004? version. Ok, call me cheap!
abuc99, i considered pm ing you to see if you new anything about the 2002 alignment when I did mine a few weeks ago but chanced it and it worked out fine.
Maybe someone with the knowledge could compile that info for the different years........(hint, hint)... and make it a sticky!

Yes but most of us don't have a manual for our specific year. Most, like myself only have the downloadable FSM for the 2003 or 2004? version. Ok, call me cheap!
abuc99, i considered pm ing you to see if you new anything about the 2002 alignment when I did mine a few weeks ago but chanced it and it worked out fine.
Maybe someone with the knowledge could compile that info for the different years........(hint, hint)... and make it a sticky!
@2001LC is elbows deep in work at the moment but I think he has a few different model year printed FSM to reference. 04 downloaded FSM and 05 printed version call out the same procedure as the posted a page from FSM above.

Sorry for reviving old thread.I am about to do this job soon and that "T" marks is really bothering me,from what i am reading most on mud use the vertical line not the the "T".Can someone smarter than me tell me why toyota has that "T" it must mean something.
From 05 FSM "b.Align the installation mark on the timing belt with the TIMING MARK of the crankshaft timing pulley"
Also can somebody look over this guy and his installation
link Toyota 2UZ-FE Timing Belt Marks 4.7L
Thx i guess i am overthinking this.

Last edited:
Sorry for reviving old thread.I am about to do this job soon and that "T" marks is really bothering me,from what i am reading most on mud use the notch not the the "T".Can someone smarter than me tell me why toyota has that "T" it must mean something.
From 05 FSM "b.Align the installation mark on the timing belt with the TIMING MARK of the crankshaft timing pulley"it doesnt say notch.
Also can somebody look over this guy and his installation
link Toyota 2UZ-FE Timing Belt Marks 4.7L
Thx i guess i am overthinking this.

How many mark is on the pulley? Why should it say notch?

How many mark is on the pulley? Why should it say notch?
Sorry for the confusion i meant the vertical line to the left of the T mark.

If you are trying to find TDC, follow the FSM procedure to the letter. Disregard the “T” behind the cam gear. You are at TDC (No. 1 cyl) when notch on crank pulley is pointing to “0” degrees and notches on cam gears are lined up with vertical line on the rear plate. It may take a couple of full revolutions to get there.

1604663891821.jpeg

The "T" marks above cam sprocket marks are for alignment with plastic post on the lower timing belt cover, with harmonic balance (lower belt pulley) timing mark. It can be use as a check, to make sure belt on properly. We use the straight timing line to cam marks, with crank sprocket timing mark during install.

In the end, which timing marks on cams have I to use for a correct alignment: the "T" mark or the TDC mark?

During installation of the timing belt. Use the straight line on face of head covers for/to cam marks. Use the crank sprocket mark on oil pump (dot).
IMG_7712.JPEG
IMG_7711.JPEG

Timing Belt 06LC 194K 050.JPG

013.JPG

And first of all, on crank pulley which marks: the TDC "0" or the mark just to its right (above 50°) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom