Timing Belt - 2000 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to do timing belt, I've read through most of the threads on here and am still trying to decide 100% if this is something I'd like to tackle. A couple questions:

1. Does anyone know anyone in the Pensacola FL area that they would recommend? Like most, I'm completely willing to pay a fair price for honest/quality work.

2. Is there a parts list somewhere I could use to price out the materials? Would like to use OEM as much as possible, we've had the truck for 11 yrs. and I honestly don't think we'll ever sell it. Also would like to do anything that makes sense to do while I'm at it.

This gem has 180K on it, we bought it at 93K and I can't find any evidence that the timing belt has been replaced. I'll admit it, I didn't even know what a timing belt was until last summer when I started hunting around for another 100 series.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Humbly yours,
Tookmy100forgrantedanditlovedmebackanyway

There are kits on Amazon for timing belt jobs. Look for Aisin or Mitsuboshi parts. Also, I believe the interval is 90K or 7 yrs, I think. You are well past the latter. The 4.7 is a bullet proof engine, but a broken timing belt could be very bad for a 2006 and later version. I believe 2005 and earlier had a "non-interference" engine, and so a broken timing belt wouldn't cause much, if any, long term damage. I'm not sure if that's the case, so just be safe and get the belt changed ASAP.

Appreciate the feedback gentlemen.

I'm really inclined to do this job myself and put the labor savings into suspension or something else on the list, just want to make sure I don't forget to do something that will come back to haunt me.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but the more I get into working on this thing the more I appreciate it. We are the second owner, truck has been garage-kept for the last 11 years we've had it, can't find any rust to speak of. Also have a 2008 GX 470, great truck as well, but something about the 100 series......

It's not a terrible job, I did mine about 6 mos ago. I also changed out the radiator at the same time as they age and the plastics start to break down. You'll know if the plastic is brownish in color instead of black. I also changed out the hoses and thermostat. I was chasing a problem where I found the temps too hot for my liking. While it was good to have done all this preventative maintenance, I found that the thermostat was the original and was opening only a few mm when hot. Now I stay around 194 degrees driving down the road instead of 210+. So all this to say swap out the thermostat too while you're in there.

I am in the middle of a timing belt job on our 01 LX. While it's only bolts, I'm not convinced it's as easy as it appears. I completed the TB on the T4R 3.4 last month, which prompted me to do the LX, and it was far easier.

I would say that my about a 7/10 in mechanical ability (pulled a 40 down to a bare frame and built it back up, have rebuilt engines and built custom engines that technically don't exist, have created EFI systems from scratch, and more).

While the TB job isn't difficult, there are many steps and pieces that have to go in a particular place/order. I have a good memory of pulling parts and being able to visualize where they go back, how, and with which bolts.

I would suggest if any of this doesn't resonate with you and you plan to do the job yourself.... consider taking lots of photos along the way and maybe even bag/label parts and bolts sp you know where they go back.

Oh. and that damn lower AC bolt behind the oil filter in front of the steering rack and lines is a PITA.

I just completed the job this weekend. Bought the AISIN kit off ebay, the parts I removed were also AISIN so it appears to all be OEM. I also replaced the fan clutch and fan bracket since they all had to come out. One tip that helped me was using my battery powered Milwaukee mid-torque impact to get the crankshaft pulley off with a little heat. Didn't need something to hold the pulley nor huge cheater bars. I was able to do this WITHOUT removing the radiator, which was great.

Otherwise, that fan bracket bolt by the A/C compressor was annoying until I got the right angle on it through the wheel well, not having a tool to rotate the timing cams/gears made putting the actual belt on a bit of a chore, but made one with a wooden dowel and some bolts I had laying around. Took me about 6 hrs on Sat and about 8 on sunday. I went slowly, checking and rechecking the manual, vs the threads on here, vs a good youtube video as it was my first time doing the belt on my Hundy, also torqued almost every bolt to the book values. It was alot of work, but I wouldn't say it was technically difficult.

Here are the parts you need. On top of that, I'd change the heater T's and serpentine belt as long as you are already working on the engine. (AISIN is the manufacturer of the OEM parts, so you are using OEM without the name-price-mark-up)

Amazon product ASIN B008EEYWKI

I just completed the job this weekend. Bought the AISIN kit off ebay, the parts I removed were also AISIN so it appears to all be OEM. I also replaced the fan clutch and fan bracket since they all had to come out. One tip that helped me was using my battery powered Milwaukee mid-torque impact to get the crankshaft pulley off with a little heat. Didn't need something to hold the pulley nor huge cheater bars. I was able to do this WITHOUT removing the radiator, which was great.

Otherwise, that fan bracket bolt by the A/C compressor was annoying until I got the right angle on it through the wheel well, not having a tool to rotate the timing cams/gears made putting the actual belt on a bit of a chore, but made one with a wooden dowel and some bolts I had laying around. Took me about 6 hrs on Sat and about 8 on sunday. I went slowly, checking and rechecking the manual, vs the threads on here, vs a good youtube video as it was my first time doing the belt on my Hundy, also torqued almost every bolt to the book values. It was alot of work, but I wouldn't say it was technically difficult.

Like I said, not technically difficult but just a lot of parts and variations of bolts to remember.

I'm about an hour and a half in and the entire belt is exposed, just need to pull the tensioner and will have the belt out.

For removing the crank pulley bolt- I used the starter trick. Haven't had a Toyota it doesn't work on.

Last edited:
Really appreciate all the feedback gentlemen.

Talked to ACC Garage earlier today, waiting on a quote and then will contemplate making the drive up there. The local shops I've been to have all been disappointments of varying degrees, so basically if I can't afford ACC I'll be jumping into this. I did valve cover gaskets, plugs/coils earlier this year, heater Ts, and alternator last summer so I'm just confident enough to give it a try.

So as far as the stuff that doesn't come in the tb kit, would be a good idea to do:

Fan clutch/bracket
Thermostat
Radiator
Radiator hoses

Anything else?

I’m looking at this kit from EBay. All Aisin,Mitsubishi,Toyota and includes hoses.
FEC46381-0ABB-4FAF-9F41-82DC992E442C.jpeg

Really appreciate all the feedback gentlemen.

Talked to ACC Garage earlier today, waiting on a quote and then will contemplate making the drive up there. The local shops I've been to have all been disappointments of varying degrees, so basically if I can't afford ACC I'll be jumping into this. I did valve cover gaskets, plugs/coils earlier this year, heater Ts, and alternator last summer so I'm just confident enough to give it a try.

So as far as the stuff that doesn't come in the tb kit, would be a good idea to do:

Fan clutch/bracket
Thermostat
Radiator
Radiator hoses

Anything else?
Alternator brushes.

Call 49 Tire Pros in Richland, MS tomorrow and ask for Chris or Rob. @wct49 will likely have every part you need and then some on the shelf. His cruiser mechanic @offr0adlim0 is one of the best around.

They look to be about an hour closer to you than ATL. I can't stress enough how much your LC will benefit from a "spa day" at this shop!

Replace the fan bracket. When the bearing on it goes, it s probably about 80% of the labor of the actual timing belt job to replace the fan bracket. You have to take it off to do the timing belt, spend the extra money now and put a new Aisin one on. Also - replace the front crank oil seal. Same deal, $12 seal, but you have to take everything apart to do it that you would to do the timing belt.

Spent about 16hrs on this job. It's really fiddly. The second time thought that I'll do this job, I'll probably be able to knock it down to 6hrs.

Replace the fan bracket. When the bearing on it goes, it s probably about 80% of the labor of the actual timing belt job to replace the fan bracket. You have to take it off to do the timing belt, spend the extra money now and put a new Aisin one on. Also - replace the front crank oil seal. Same deal, $12 seal, but you have to take everything apart to do it that you would to do the timing belt.
^^^^^^^^^^
@gatormark91 is spot on. Ask me how I know...18k miles after completing my timing belt service my fan bracket bearing seized shredding my new serpentine belt in a few seconds. No fun driving these things without power steering, A/C or fan to cool the radiator...definitely worth replacing while doing this service and old one is already off.

Oh and it's also cheap insurance to replace serpentine idler pulleys/tensioner (or bearings). I went ahead and bit the bullet on these also when I was forced to change the fan bracket even though they felt and sounded ok spinning.

I’m looking at this kit from EBay. All Aisin,Mitsubishi,Toyota and includes hoses.
View attachment 2064034
Thanks for sharing, looks like a pretty good option.

Such great info on these forums, hard to believe my 2000 only has 180K on it, such a little infant in land cruiser years. Cheers to getting this baby to 500K and beyond.

The Ebay kit, those parts are all by the oem manufacturers?

Any particular recommendations on torque wrenches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom