Timer pre heater box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somehow I managed to fry the circuits in this box and now my glow plugs don't work. I'm trying to think why do I need a timer pre heater when my glow plugs are manual anyway? I'm thinking either A) this box was part of the original and when part of it broke they put in a manual button to take it's place. B) They are both stock and the timer is to prevent overheating the glowplugs by holding the button too long. Either way it seems to overly complicated for my landcruiser (82 BJ42 24 volt in case my signature isn't updated).

Could I just wire a much simpler circuit consisting of power wire to fuse box, to glowplug switch, to indicator light, to glowplugs, to ground? Maybe wire in a relay but I don't even see the need for that. If I really do need my Timer pre heater box where can I find a replacement and what is the actually name for them so I can look it up? Spector doesn't seem to have them. I can also make out the lettering "ondenso" on the box. The first and last letter is worn off so I'm assuming it's suppose to read, "condensor" but then I thought that is suppose to be spelled, "condenser" for an "E".

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg
IMAG0111.jpg
IMAG0109.jpg

I ran a direct wire to my glowplugs for a few years with a press switch with no problems but you can get aftermarket timers that have adjustable timing.
Glow Plug Timers Buy Online

Im not sure about BJ timer box,but the HZJ7* is about $800 from the dealer

"ondenso" may be Nippondenso who make all of Toyotas electrical gear.

Long hard frustrating day of trying to rewire the glow plugs to a manual switch. I managed to get them to not work at all and the fuel shut off solenoid only works with the key is in the start position but turns off when the key goes back to on, immediately shutting off the cruiser. Guess the magic box is more important than I thought.

bypass it all, get some 10.5v ngk's and manual switch. you'll be good to go. (if you go manual switch make sure you swap plugs or you will burn em out quick)

run a wire from a main unfused source, batt, back of fuse panel ect. add a fuse, push button momentary switch, to the plugs. easy, and you can hold long for cold starts or press for only a few seconds for those hot summer days... all five of them we get here in the NW

I'm part of the way there. But I'm a little confused on your post. Why would I swap glow plugs to 10.5 volts when it's a 24 volt cruiser? The strange thing is, it already has a manual switch to it. But the previous owner apparently incorporated that with the timer box. I tried a simple wiring: fuse box to manual switch, to indicator light, to glowplugs, to ground. Turns out the indicator light is a big resister, 24 volts in, 3 volts out. So when I took the indicator light out of the picture it immediately burned up a fuse. On top of that the fuel shut off solenoid was also tied into that timer box and now only stays on when the key is in the start position and turns off in the key on position. My next step is buy a generic 24 volt relay for power to the glowplugs and the fuel shut off solenoid.

So my next question is what amps do these glow plug operate at? What is the proper glowplugs I need to buy for them for using a manual switch? I have a wiring diagram from an 81 bj42 but apparently they are wildly different from 81 to 82. I really have half a mind to take them out of the equation altogether and put in a heat grid.

I'm part of the way there. But I'm a little confused on your post. Why would I swap glow plugs to 10.5 volts when it's a 24 volt cruiser? The strange thing is, it already has a manual switch to it. But the previous owner apparently incorporated that with the timer box. I tried a simple wiring: fuse box to manual switch, to indicator light, to glowplugs, to ground. Turns out the indicator light is a big resister, 24 volts in, 3 volts out. So when I took the indicator light out of the picture it immediately burned up a fuse. On top of that the fuel shut off solenoid was also tied into that timer box and now only stays on when the key is in the start position and turns off in the key on position. My next step is buy a generic 24 volt relay for power to the glowplugs and the fuel shut off solenoid.

So my next question is what amps do these glow plug operate at? What is the proper glowplugs I need to buy for them for using a manual switch? I have a wiring diagram from an 81 bj42 but apparently they are wildly different from 81 to 82. I really have half a mind to take them out of the equation altogether and put in a heat grid.

Have a read of this thread Sandec:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...gs-should-i-running-b-2b-3b-h-2h-diesels.html

In it we tried to put everything that owners of certain models (including BJ42) need to know about their preheat systems.

So that should help you work out what you've got there and what you need to do.

:beer:

I bought a Bj70 for the running gear and have a pre-heat timer.

I don't know if it works because I didn't try to use it.
$50 + the ride

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom