1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to UnSmog

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mattcobb, Nov 3, 2003.

1. mattcobb

mattcobb

I am looking to unsmog my 74 40 since it no longer needs to pass emissions. What do I have to strip off / adjust to open things up? Are headers good and if so is there a good / bad kind? Can I strip gear and hold off on buying new stuff while improving milage / HP? Thanks

2. Ming89FJ62

Ming89FJ62 I smell bacon GOLD Star SILVER Star

Check the tech section - you'll find two schematics for desmog of an 84 FJ60.

Ming

3. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Do you have an airpump? On Federal (non Kalifornia) there isn't much (anything) too be removed.

4. JFirearrow

JFirearrow

Mat, be careful de-smogging a 74-they run like crap if you just remove the smog pump-also the 74 is the only year that runs that pump and if you lose it you wont find another-i had to have mine rebuilt to keep my 74 running good and original-why de-smog? 74's are tough to get right-good luck-j

5. Bryan-71

Bryan-71

On my '71 I plugged every vaccum line except the one for the crank case vaccum, brake booster, and the one that runs into the valve cover. I removed the vsv and plugged the line at the distributor. Runs great, and havent had a problem yet.

6. Ground Up

Ground Up

mattcobb-

Let me know when you take everything off. I would be interested in the parts.

Sniper

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">