Time to sell the hundy? What would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a unicorn 100 series Land Cruiser right now. It’s a 2000 but only has 144k miles on it. Been garaged stored it’s whole life, exterior is black, and we’ve done regular maintenance. It was previously owned (we bought it seven years ago) by an airline mechanic who was OCD about vehicle maintenance. It’s not without it‘s flaws however. Squeaky door trims, door lock motors that won’t work in the heat, a major clunk in the front end when hitting a bump, and now an idler pulley that is starting to chirp.

Anyway, it’s mostly a been used as the primary vehicle for my teenager and is designated as the “kid’s vehicle”. I have a 2008 LX570, wife has a 2008 Sequoia, we love them both so we’re covered in the SUV department. Our family is large, so we’ve got a lot of kids that will be driving and using it over the next few years. Sadly, it almost never gets used for off-roading. It’s only been off road once in the past five years. It’s simply a people and stuff mover right now.

So here’s the deal: despite it’s low miles, I’m mulling over what repairs will be coming my way soon (see the list above) and the overall cost of ownership is fairly high (tires, brakes and fuel are expensive). We do much of the maintenance work ourselves, but I’m getting busy enough that I don’t want to spend hours working on it either.

Really the question then: is it worth putting time and money into a machine that is now 21 years old?

Additionally, the local market for Land Cruisers is hot hot hot and I may be able to sell it for 5k ABOVE what I bought it for seven years ago in the current climate.

You may be asking, “what would you get instead?”. Don’t laugh, but I’m leaning toward’s a 2010 (or so) Sienna mini van. Keeps the kids humble and my driving teenagers often are hauling friends, siblings and lots of musical instruments, bikes, etc. It’d be super cheap to operate compared to the LC. More modern airbags and other safety concerns factor in as well.

Financially, it totally makes sense, but…the Land Cruiser is awesome.

So, what would you do?

Sell the Land Cruiser.
I've owned a 93 Toyota Previa, 02 Honda Odyssey and 98 Toyota Sienna and I can honestly say they were some of the best vehicles I've had. The Previa was a little different than the other two but all served their purpose well. My 4 kids drove the Odyssey and the Sienna to school. Eventually they both got wrecked but they were great cars.

This was not the case when I did my numbers unless brand new Sienna is significant cheaper now.
Good thought, but for a kid car I’d be looking at an old Sienna, like 2010 or older. They’re fairly cheap.

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt" - Sam in Ronin

IMO just because it has lower mileage doesn’t make it a unicorn. Rare options do. That being said figure if you do sell it and decide you want to get back into a 100 then you’ll most likely pay more than what you sold it for. If that’s a risk you’re willing to take, move it along.

Do you even use the LC as it was designed to be used?

I'll be the voice of reason here. Keep it. Why?
1. Safer for kids. higher on the lug nut scale than a sienna--airbags aren't everything.
2. AWD+vsc results in an incredibly sure footed vehicle in all conditions
3. Cool factor. I get keeping the kids humble, but then they'll want to borrow your car for prom.
4. Durability. You'll go through 3 siennas with teenage drivers but the 100 will take the abuse. 1 vs 3 ends up being cheaper most likely.

I'll be the voice of reason here. Keep it. Why?
1. Safer for kids. higher on the lug nut scale than a sienna--airbags aren't everything.
2. AWD+vsc results in an incredibly sure footed vehicle in all conditions
3. Cool factor. I get keeping the kids humble, but then they'll want to borrow your car for prom.
4. Durability. You'll go through 3 siennas with teenage drivers but the 100 will take the abuse. 1 vs 3 ends up being cheaper most likely.
Siennas are bomb proof dude. My 1gen had 270k and was in our family since only 30k miles. We didn’t do jack sht on it maintenance wise and the suspension was still in very decent shape. We hauled 7 people and gear in it all the time. My Lx at 100k miles took a sht on us when we tried loading it that much. So I beg to differ that 100s are all that. AHC is ancient and problematic on most 100s now. I see broken LXs driving around on bump stops almost daily in Chicago. My dad’s shop just had one in the other week, they’re mechanics spent days trying to figure out what was wrong and just had it towed away after giving up on that system. Not everyone has the time to sit on these forums and tinker with an old hydraulic system. Some people wanna spend that time fishing, and doing other cool sht. That’s what life is all about

Siennas are bomb proof dude. My 1gen had 270k and was in our family since only 30k miles. We didn’t do jack sht on it maintenance wise and the suspension was still in very decent shape. We hauled 7 people and gear in it all the time. My Lx at 100k miles took a sht on us when we tried loading it that much. So I beg to differ that 100s are all that. AHC is ancient and problematic on most 100s now. I see broken LXs driving around on bump stops almost daily in Chicago. My dad’s shop just had one in the other week, they’re mechanics spent days trying to figure out what was wrong and just had it towed away after giving up on that system. Not everyone has the time to sit on these forums and tinker with an old hydraulic system. Some people wanna spend that time fishing, and doing other cool sht. That’s what life is all about
Sorry your LX gave you problems. OP has a land cruiser, no AHC to worry with. Objective fact: Land Cruisers are designed to be extremely durable. Siennas are designed to be reliable, but they are not built to the same specifications.

I think a Sienna is a fine choice, but I have a lot of kids also, and 3 are teenagers. A vehicle that can take a beating is a positive in my view. YMMV.

For the OP, one thing I forgot...
When the kids are done with it, it can be your wheeling rig!

Sell.

I would also consider your replacement being a 2 door anything.

Why make it easy for your child to haul everyones' children (distractions while operating a motor vehicle) when they are just learning to drive themselves?

My daughter wanted a Wrangler 4-door for the same reason, being able to haul her friends. I found her an '07 FJ. She thought it was way cool... I thought it made it harder for more than two pax to get comfortable. :rofl:

Today's prices might make it harder to find a good FJ but your insurance premiums will likely be reduced and the novelty will wear off quicker for the Pax wanting to ride in the jump seat too. As in the old days, Accidents Cause People. These days accidents can cause law suits... :smokin:

I feel like @CruiseLanderAZ should chime in here as he’s considering ditching his 100 for a Sienna, too. @Somebodyelse5 and @knewstance have tried to talk him off the ledge.

Having learned to drive in a 100, and basically coming home from the hospital in an 80... I am partial. But I think landcruiser always wins.

You may be asking, “what would you get instead?”. Don’t laugh, but I’m leaning toward’s a 2010 (or so) Sienna mini van. Keeps the kids humble and my driving teenagers often are hauling friends, siblings and lots of musical instruments, bikes, etc. It’d be super cheap to operate compared to the LC. More modern airbags and other safety concerns factor in as well.
There isn't anything about a 2000 land cruiser that isn't "humble"... if you want them to be uber dorks in a mini van that's a different discussion, but almost every person you come across will think it's a 4runner or a highlander.... @CruiseLanderAZ and his brother were literally telling me yesterday at lunch about how quick the siennas are.

It's slow. It's heavy. It's safe. Gas is also expensive so, maybe they won't be inclined to drive around like maniacs, and if they want to it's not like it's fast anyways.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom