Time to sell my Montero and buy a LX! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I am looking to sell my Gen3 Montero and make my way into the 200 Series world. I live in SoCal and am beginning the hunt for a LX570 soon.

Hoping to find one with under 200,000 miles and under 30k. I am preferably looking for the 08-12 since that is what fits my budget the most.

I am currently researching common issues or things to look out for and to my surprise having a real hard time finding any big issues aside from anything with rust of course.

So far I am aware of the coolant valley leak, cam tower oil leak, and I have read some reports of AHC failing?

Any input would be appreciated as I am looking to buy one in the next 3 months. Ive been throw the overlanding phase already, so I am excited to build up a new truck with everything I learned!

DSC09122.JPG

I'm sure others will have a lot to say but AHC failures are actually quite rare. Corrosion on some of the hydraulic lines above the rear axle is the most common real issue, but without significant rust it is rare. There can be contact with some pipes there for accelerated wear. There was a rash of pump issues lately but it seems to be primarily some bad AHC fluid going around.. if the system hasn't been serviced recently that's actually a good thing.

With a rig approaching 200k plan on getting a set of globes for about $600, and whenever the fluid issues get figured out, do a system flush. AHC should be really solid after that work.

I'm sure others will have a lot to say but AHC failures are actually quite rare. Corrosion on some of the hydraulic lines above the rear axle is the most common real issue, but without significant rust it is rare. There can be contact with some pipes there for accelerated wear. There was a rash of pump issues lately but it seems to be primarily some bad AHC fluid going around.. if the system hasn't been serviced recently that's actually a good thing.

With a rig approaching 200k plan on getting a set of globes for about $600, and whenever the fluid issues get figured out, do a system flush. AHC should be really solid after that work.
Appreciate the reply and I’ll keep an eye out. From reading it seems I can disable the AHC system completely? If so if/when it fails to plan to go to Koni RAIDs followed then to King shocks.

Appreciate the reply and I’ll keep an eye out. From reading it seems I can disable the AHC system completely? If so if/when it fails to plan to go to Koni RAIDs followed then to King shocks.
Yes you can, but you will be left with smaller diameter sway bars than the disconnecting ones on a cruiser. On and off road the AHC assists the bars in handling stability, whereas cruisers have very thick bars for good dynamic handling on road, while disconnecting when needed off road. With the traditional LX bars and no help from AHC you’ll be left somewhere in the middle, with not quite the flat manners on road and not quite the articulation off road.

But it is a good last ditch option if the AHC system fails in a way that isn’t worth fixing.

Before making a decision like that, I'd encourage you to learn more about the system and get some seat time to understand its capabilities. It might be an opportunity to save some bucks and have some of most technologically capable and sophisticated suspension already built in. Or it may not. But for many of us, it's literally the best part of the vehicle and what makes it so broadly flexible, high performing, capable, and durable. On and off road. I'm not just throwing superlative words together. And there's lots more specifics that can be said. I'll say some, including myself would consider it rash and arguably a downgrade to go to a static suspension. Which can be excellent in specific use cases, but will won't touch the overall performance and bandwidth of AHC.

Before making a decision like that, I'd encourage you to learn more about the system and get some seat time to understand its capabilities. It might be an opportunity to save some bucks and have some of most technologically capable and sophisticated suspension already built in. Or it may not. But for many of us, it's literally the best part of the vehicle and what makes it so broadly flexible, high performing, capable, and durable. On and off road. I'm not just throwing superlative words together. And there's lots more specifics that can be said. I'll say some, including myself would consider it rash and arguably a downgrade to go to a static suspension. Which can be excellent in specific use cases, but will won't touch the overall performance and bandwidth of AHC.
As a person that absolutely loves his LandCruiser and the king suspension, I agree.

I've advocated the 200-series platform to a half dozen friends, and only one of those was I pushing for a LC based on how they'd use it. The LX is fantastic and the AHC is a major part of that.

As a person that absolutely loves his LandCruiser and the king suspension, I agree.

I've advocated the 200-series platform to a half dozen friends, and only one of those was I pushing for a LC based on how they'd use it. The LX is fantastic and the AHC is a major part of that.
I guess I am hesitant now. I do quite a bit of wheeling, I am just unsure if the AHC can handle it. I plan to do the rubi, once I install sliders, skid, lockers and low range gears. Maybe a Cruiser is more suitable.

I guess I am hesitant now. I do quite a bit of wheeling, I am just unsure if the AHC can handle it. I plan to do the rubi, once I install sliders, skid, lockers and low range gears. Maybe a Cruiser is more suitable.
One person did kill their AHC attempting it. Plan was to fix it and try again, I’m not sure whether they ever did that.

To my knowledge it was the only AHC equipped 200 to attempt the rubicon.

To be fair though, even a cruiser is going to struggle, and you’ll need to accept some body damage as a reality.

One person did kill their AHC attempting it. Plan was to fix it and try again, I’m not sure whether they ever did that.

To my knowledge it was the only AHC equipped 200 to attempt the rubicon.

To be fair though, even a cruiser is going to struggle, and you’ll need to accept some body damage as a reality.
I am totally ok with body damage, I have a group that does it yearly in Monteros and breaking stuff is part of the fun! We did the dusy this year, MUCH HARDER but way more fun

I am totally ok with body damage, I have a group that does it yearly in Monteros and breaking stuff is part of the fun! We did the dusy this year, MUCH HARDER but way more fun
A note about the failed AHC Rubicon attempt. AHC didn't actually fail per se. He had a evap code issue that shut down AHC and got stuck in low. I think he would have been okay if he had a code reset tool. As it was, they had to drag him out. All that to say, its dumb that an evap code can shut down so many systems.

If you want to read about it, you can start here:

Later in the thread, the owner says he believes he would have gone through fine if not for the evap code locking out the off road controls.

If you plan to turn it into a crawler for hard trails like Fordyce and the Rubicon then I don't see a reason why you shouldn't delete AHC or simply seek out a Cruiser from the start. Your Montero looks great, I almost bought a last year model back in 2007, I've always liked the way they look. How many miles are on it and why are you leaving the platform other than moving up to something better lol?!

If you plan to turn it into a crawler for hard trails like Fordyce and the Rubicon then I don't see a reason why you shouldn't delete AHC or simply seek out a Cruiser from the start. Your Montero looks great, I almost bought a last year model back in 2007, I've always like the way they look. How many miles are on it and why are you leaving the platform other than moving up to something better lol?!
Right now the cruisers seem above my price point, I see most going for 40k. The Montero is pretty capable for what it is with 9.5 inch diffs and the driveline being as big and beefy as a LC (compared to the GX and 4runner.

I have around 180k miles on my Montero rn and bought it with 100k.

The issue with the Montero is it is reliable when you properly maintain them and the older they get the more attention they need. I already 2 other Monteros so I am looking to get a LX as a daily driver, light technical stuff and then 5 years down the line wheel it harder in the Nothern Sierras.

If you want to see Monteros wheel here are some vids!

- This guys first time wheeling and decided to do the Rubicon, with only a rear locker and some old AT tires! He made it but he did blow ALOT of CVs (4 pairs)

A note about the failed AHC Rubicon attempt. AHC didn't actually fail per se. He had a evap code issue that shut down AHC and got stuck in low. I think he would have been okay if he had a code reset tool. As it was, they had to drag him out. All that to say, its dumb that an evap code can shut down so many systems.
I stand corrected.. great info.

I do remembering wondering why the con would kill AHC. Seems well within it’s capability.

I think it goes without saying that I just mean the Montero needs alot more attention than other vehicles, plus I am starting to get excited on learning and wheeling a different and more capable platform with a solid rear axle instead of IRS

Thanks for sharing that - reading up on that and see blinking center diff reminds me of the Montero :)

Are the T-cases in the LX/200 vacuum actuated at all?
Two electric motors actuate the 4x4. Normally AWD, one actuator locks the center diff when needed, the other engages low range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom