Time to replace timing belt idler pulleys, tensioner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the timing belt, water pump, pulleys and tensioner 9 years and 65,000 miles ago. I figure because of the time past, it is probably time to replace the timing belt and water pump. I'm inclined to leave the pulleys and tensioner alone - any advice?

Gil
Ventura, CA

My 2002 LX470 is 14 years old. Purchased her 6 months ago and now only has 29K miles.
Has original Timing Belt.
I'm going against factory recommendation and waiting until I get to 50K miles.
The reasons are that I had a 1999 Sienna with 135K that I sold earlier this year with original belt,
and a friend of mine has a 2004 with 140K and original belt.
My thinking is that these belts are more durable than factory recommendation based on time.
At the rate I am tacking on the miles, probably in 2 years.

The pulleys and tensioner are probably fine now, but may not go all the way to the next t-belt change. So I'm with 04uzij100 and advise replacement.

I have 7 years with only 50k miles on my belt and WP. My serp belt and tensioner are chirping in the cold mornings. Would you change it all or just the serp/tensioner?

I replaced the timing belt, water pump, pulleys and tensioner 9 years and 65,000 miles ago. I figure because of the time past, it is probably time to replace the timing belt and water pump. I'm inclined to leave the pulleys and tensioner alone - any advice?

the cost of the tensioner and pulleys is minimal compared to the rest of the parts, get with beno and just do it all.

Mine went 15 years and 186 k miles in Alaska on the original timing belt, water pump and pullys, and it ran great. I replaced them as PM when I bought the truck in 2013. The belt had some cracks in the rubber, but no signs of imminent failure, and the water pump and pullys worked fine. I guess it makes sense to change it all while your in there, but unless your rig is exposed to extreme conditions, your probably good for a few more miles.:meh:

I'm at ~ same millage & years on belt. I'm just going to pull #1 cover and inspect belt.

9 years ago at ~97.5K inspection I could hear the slightest sound from tensioner & idler bearings, while held up to ear and spun. I didn't think they'd last the next ~90k, so I replaced.

I had a new OEM water pump (WP) ready to go in. Finding no issues on inspection of factory WP, and was missing a seal for the new one on a Sunday, so I just keep old WP in. At 165k now, no issues with WP. I do baby it, flushing regularly with T-red & D-water. According to my friend at Toyota parts counter (20 yr. man); a new WP may last only 20k miles or >120k, where some factory's seem to never fail.

I do keep all drive pulleys (bearings) in good (quiet) condition, and power steering pump flushed regular with M1. This keep noise level down so I can hear abnormal sounds. I also inspect coolant level & weep hole, and stay alert for the sweet smell of coolant.

Last edited:
Any pics of th weep hole? (Insert joke here....) last time I contacted beno about part, he said he retired. I'll just do the serp belt and pulleys if the pump isn't weeping. Anyone know the part #'s?

I believe @cruiseroutfit has complete kits at great prices, that you can count on fitting & being top shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-13505-0F010-Timing-Sub-Assembly/dp/B00G6CF9F2 Tensioner
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-13503-0F010-Timing-Sub-Assembly/dp/B00G6CF7JU Idler
For some reason Amazon show idler will not fit my 00 LX470 but does fit my 01 LC. They are the same and should fit. Price's may or may not be best around.

With skid plate removed. Can also use mirror from above.
Bottom front of engine, just behind harmonic balance (large pulley on crank)
weep hole LX 006 a.jpg

Last edited:
For drive (serp.) belt pulley's rock auto has a cheap idler. Don't no how long it will last but my OEM started chirping ~40K but is still going at ~70K More Information for HAYDEN 5021 idler. The pictures is of OEM, but is not what they ship.

For drive tensioner just take bearing to NAPA or Advance auto and replace only bearing keeping your pulley $15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom