Time to re-yolk the drive shaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1976 SOA FJ40 -

Replacing the u-joints and the old caps in the driveshaft yolk were extremely loose. Was hoping it was the caps but tried a few of the others that were tight when pulled and they slid right though as well.

Decided to test the new u-joints and it is seems I need a replacement shaft or a new yolk.

I’ve searched all the things I can think to search to find yolk replacements with no luck.

Here is a video link showing the u-joint slop

What do y’all suggest??

were the old u joints that loose when they came out? that seems so loose that i wonder if you’ve got the right u joint. that’s a lot of wear! how did it feel driving it? i’m sure that would cause a lot of noise and vibration

Have you tried Toyota U-joints? The only aftermarket joint I ever used was failed due to poor fit.

were the old u joints that loose when they came out? that seems so loose that i wonder if you’ve got the right u joint. that’s a lot of wear! how did it feel driving it? i’m sure that would cause a lot of noise and vibration

Yes, old u-joint caps were just as loose.

I’m running 40” boggers so there is a lot of noise and vibration all the time 🤣

But yes, the last couple of times we’ve been out I noticed more of a vibration coming through the drive train and could hear it and feel it through the gear shifters.

Now that I’m thinking about it more specifically there has been a drive train vibration for a while. Noticed that it got better when engaging the clutch while going down the road but kind of wrote that off as it being a 1976 🤦🏻‍♂️

Have you tried Toyota U-joints? The only aftermarket joint I ever used was failed due to poor fit.

I have not. I used the factory equivalent from Cruiser Outfitters.

I’m thinking the driveshaft got damaged when I blew the pinion and just didn’t notice it when putting it back together. The pinion blew in 2011 and I put it back together last year and I’m almost positive a couple of the caps were really easy to put in.

If your yokes are toast, you’re likely better off to get a good used driveshaft.

I have not. I used the factory equivalent from Cruiser Outfitters.

I’m thinking the driveshaft got damaged when I blew the pinion and just didn’t notice it when putting it back together. The pinion blew in 2011 and I put it back together last year and I’m almost positive a couple of the caps were really easy to put in.

There’s definitely nothing wrong with using the Matsuba U-joints they carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom