Time to move??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wonder if it is time to move to somewhere safe like East Vancouver. Was planning to take the family out for my wife's B-day but we are stuck inside with 1/2 the local police and SWAT team blocking off the street. Last year it was the United Nations gang in the most expensive home on the block. Before that we had two grow-ops in rental houses and before that it was a dealer in a rental house.

Well it wasn't a grow-op raid. About 3 hours later they let us go but left a police car guarding the house they had raided. If it had been a grow-op then they would have had people removing the bud and hardware. Apparently, whoever they thought was there wasn't there. So they concussion grenaded and smoked bombed the house for nothing. Police weren't giving the neighbourhood any info on who the operation was about. Hope it wasn't to do with what appears to be a Scorpion and United Nations war. Lety ended up with a late B-day supper at Greek Islands, but it was worth the wait.

Anyways, its got me thinking that maybe its time for a german shepard friend for our aging goldie.

I am getting ready to go to the Kootenays east or west this lower mainland has gone for a s*** , Olympics, traffic, and s***ty fxxxed up people, I'm done!

This was a great place to live till Expo 86...
Been downhill ever since. I'm not ready to pack up and move away yet, but that day will most likely come.

My decision to stay north was not very hard, one of the biggest pushes was the 2.5 hour daily commute compared to my 5-10min commute anywhere in Fort St. John (I could make the 12-15hr trip back home, monthly and I would still be ahead). That and it was much easier to get ahead for myself coming strait out of University.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the moment I cross that Coquihalla toll booth, the Alison Pass, or reach Spences bridge (anywhere east of the Lower Mainland if you get my drift), I just feel like I can breathe a little easier as life is at a pace where it needs to be(probably because I'm going camping or fishing with the fam!):):):)

If I won the lottery, I'd be gone in a flash. Maybe I should actually pay the lottery tax like the rest and buy some tickets.

I almost went North about 9 years ago to Fort Saint John to drive trucks supplying camps. One of my volunteers up there was just begging for drivers. Some how running 12-18 hours a day sitting in a truck didn't appeal to me much. Since then i have let my class 2 license go.

The job prospects for what I do are pretty non-existant outside of large metropolitan areas. I'm getting too old for a career change and moving to some place like Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal would like be worse. So I stuck here ...:meh:

... lock and load boys.:hillbilly:

Last edited:
I don't know about the rest of you, but the moment I cross that Coquihalla toll booth, the Alison Pass, or reach Spences bridge (anywhere east of the Lower Mainland if you get my drift), I just feel like I can breathe a little easier as life is at a pace where it needs to be(probably because I'm going camping or fishing with the fam!):):):)

I know the feeling. I bought a scooter 50cc an Aprilia SR 50 R Factory, to save the LC for travelling , wheeling etc... Traffic is bad when you get passed by a scooter

I agree with Norm. Expo was the downfall. I remember my rent jumping up $300. All the out of town losers, and all the businesses that bent over to cater to them. Then didn't change back after it was over.

Gee, I wonder want will happen for the Olympics? :confused:

Gee, I wonder want will happen for the Olympics? :confused:

Taxes will go up to pay for the rich kids' party and Whistler will still have problems keeping their lifts from falling down. But at least they will have a free mega highway to get the weekend condo owners out of the ugly city while the rest of us pay for the toll bridge to pitch our tents in the bush. :bang:

<really, I'm not bitter>

moving away from the lower mainland was the best thing I have ever done

Well I could say a nice comfy mechanical design/drafting gig, but that is very unlikely there.

I could also say a job back in the mill there, but ummm...I'm surprised that place is still standing to be honest.

Decent could be defined as
1. You dont hate going to work everyday
2. Pays well enough to keep the bank off my ass for mortgage etc
3. Enough left over to still enjoy 'cruisers

Or have I now gone past decent and bordering on dream?

I'm one of the assholes who moved to Abbotsford right after expo 86. I nearly bought a house that first year for $55,000 but the bank told me I had to wait until I got my raise to $9/hour.

John is right, it is all a ratio. I've spent the last three years trying to figure out what place has the best combo of cheap land - best wages. I still haven't found any better opportunity than Fort St John but the place is full of jerks.

hey guys

Copper mountain copper mine Princeton looks like it's goin to open up BIG time!

the Similkameen is an awesome place to live, at least we have enjoyed the area very much for the last 10 years.

:beer:

I still haven't found any better opportunity than Fort St John but the place is full of jerks.

It's not that bad, but regular services suck, and there are a lot of well-off cowboys that think they own the town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom