Time-Sert thread repair advice

regretful

SILVER Star
Joined
Aug 6, 2017
Messages
70
Location
Austin
Has anyone had an experience using Time-Sert thread repair on the threads in the knuckle where the brake caliper bolts attach?
 
Last edited:

hj 60

JT1W0HJ6000960839
Joined
Aug 1, 2012
Messages
2,667
Location
Netherlands Hengevelde
Website
www.tapatalk.com
Somewhere it is explained but I cant find it on mud, (my) repair with helicoil 12x1.25 below in link.

edit: mud link Stripped caliper bolts in Birfield - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/stripped-caliper-bolts-in-birfield.778170/#post-8876695


The original bolt is
47710ABOLT, HEXAGON(FOR FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER)
90101-12060*12-1.25PX38-23


 

regretful

SILVER Star
Joined
Aug 6, 2017
Messages
70
Location
Austin
@hj 60 Thanks for the liinks. I'm trying to stay away from the heli coil. Either way it looks like I'll be taking things apart.
 

Spike Strip

Let's Go Brandon !
SILVER Star
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
15,595
Location
Kalifailure
Last edited:

regretful

SILVER Star
Joined
Aug 6, 2017
Messages
70
Location
Austin
I decided yesterday to just go with the Time-Sert and wouldn't you know it, the kit for the 12x1.25 along with the tap guide is on a national backorder. Nothing on Amazon, called east coast distributor and nothing. Will contact Time-Sert today and see what gives. This knuckle rebuild will never end.
 

regretful

SILVER Star
Joined
Aug 6, 2017
Messages
70
Location
Austin
@4Cruisers when you did this did you pull the knuckle off and use a drill press or did you do it with the knuckle still on the truck?
 

regretful

SILVER Star
Joined
Aug 6, 2017
Messages
70
Location
Austin
So here is the rest of the story. @4Cruisers was kind enough to send me his Time-Sert kit. Before it arrived I realized that the "easiest" way to install the insert was to pull the knuckle and do the work on a bench. When I started the knuckle rebuild back in June, (it was my first time) it seems like it took a couple of days to get things apart. This time it took 40 minutes. The first step is to drill out the damaged threads with supplied drill bit. Didn't have a drill press, and my hand drill was hard to control so I used a large tap wrench and slowly hand drilled it out. Next step, cutting the step, was done with a smaller tap wrench as was cutting the treads. The final task is the installing the insert. If you do this, put plenty of oil on the installation tool. I didn't and the insert got stuck on the tool. The second attempt worked like a charm. The new Toyota brake caliper bolts fit perfectly.

And after three months of sitting on stands, I went for a drive.:bounce:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom