Time-Sert thread repair advice

regretful

SILVER Star
Has anyone had an experience using Time-Sert thread repair on the threads in the knuckle where the brake caliper bolts attach?

Last edited:

hj 60

JT1W0HJ6000960839
Website
www.tapatalk.com
Somewhere it is explained but I cant find it on mud, (my) repair with helicoil 12x1.25 below in link.

edit: mud link Stripped caliper bolts in Birfield - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/stripped-caliper-bolts-in-birfield.778170/#post-8876695

The original bolt is
47710ABOLT, HEXAGON(FOR FRONT DISC BRAKE CALIPER)
90101-12060*12-1.25PX38-23

regretful

SILVER Star
@hj 60 Thanks for the liinks. I'm trying to stay away from the heli coil. Either way it looks like I'll be taking things apart.

Spike Strip

Let's Go Brandon !
SILVER Star
Last edited:

regretful

SILVER Star
I decided yesterday to just go with the Time-Sert and wouldn't you know it, the kit for the 12x1.25 along with the tap guide is on a national backorder. Nothing on Amazon, called east coast distributor and nothing. Will contact Time-Sert today and see what gives. This knuckle rebuild will never end.

regretful

SILVER Star
@4Cruisers when you did this did you pull the knuckle off and use a drill press or did you do it with the knuckle still on the truck?

regretful

SILVER Star
So here is the rest of the story. @4Cruisers was kind enough to send me his Time-Sert kit. Before it arrived I realized that the "easiest" way to install the insert was to pull the knuckle and do the work on a bench. When I started the knuckle rebuild back in June, (it was my first time) it seems like it took a couple of days to get things apart. This time it took 40 minutes. The first step is to drill out the damaged threads with supplied drill bit. Didn't have a drill press, and my hand drill was hard to control so I used a large tap wrench and slowly hand drilled it out. Next step, cutting the step, was done with a smaller tap wrench as was cutting the treads. The final task is the installing the insert. If you do this, put plenty of oil on the installation tool. I didn't and the insert got stuck on the tool. The second attempt worked like a charm. The new Toyota brake caliper bolts fit perfectly.

And after three months of sitting on stands, I went for a drive.:bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom