Time-Sert Repair of Split Case Fill Plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So like many others, I found that my new to me split case had stripped fill plug threads due to overzealous tightening by a PO. I looked through many threads and there are a range of separation options out there from the temporary press fit plugs, to tapping an oversized plug, to the thread inserts to maintain the original size.

I weighed all the options and decided to go with a repair method that would use the original size fill plug. So then it came down to which tread repair kit to use as there are many options such as the helicoil style spring inserts and the Time-Sert style full insert. As you can guess from the title of the post I went with the Time-Sert kit as it was available and it leaves a full steel insert in the case. I wouldn't have done this write-up as everyone references OlympiaFJ60's previous write-up, but at least for me his pictures aren't there so I thought perhaps my pics plus his write-up would be of future value to someone else.

Here is his write-up. Timesert drain/fill plug repair – OlympiaFJ60

The Time-Sert kit I purchased was part number 1815C and is specific for M18x1.5 threads and contains the short 10mm inserts. This is important because the insert locks in place by having he last few threads formed during insertion. So if the insert is deeper than the thickness of the case you won't be able to lock it down.

-Geoff

Time-Sert kit
IMG_20190120_184927614.jpg

IMG_20190120_184949655.jpg

IMG_20190120_185042002~2.jpg

Instructions
IMG_20190120_185023641.jpg

IMG_20190120_185033523~2.jpg

So the job is pretty straightforward and painless. With the exception of the drill bit, all of the other tools are square drive. Now this is good because you can use a 12 point socket to drive these, but it's also annoying because the square drives are each a separate size. I had to use 3 different sockets, a 7/16, a 9/16, and a 12mm. Now maybe I could have used 11mm and 14mm but even if all metric would've worked, it was still 3 sizes. Would have been nice to have them shouldered to 1 or 2 sizes.

Here's the damaged threads by the PO.
IMG_20190120_185550586.jpg

Here's the fill hole after drilling out the threads.
IMG_20190120_190330468.jpg

You next counterbore the hole to create a lip for the insert to sit flush using the provided counterbore bit.
IMG_20190120_190831389.jpg

Next you tap the hole using the provided tap. Time-Sert provides a guide to help keep the tap square to the hole.
IMG_20190120_193757790.jpg

Many people say you can do this with the case installed, but man are there a lot of shavings that are generated.

-Geoff

Last edited:
After cleaning the threads, you just screw down the insert until it bottoms out onto the counterbored lip.

Insert next to the tapped fill hole.
IMG_20190120_193828811.jpg

The instructions are very clear to oil the driver tool before setting the insert. The driver is lobed and as you turn the driver it will form the last few threads of the insert. So be sure to lubricate the driver.
IMG_20190120_194510601.jpg

Finished install.
IMG_20190120_194521601.jpg

So there you have it. About a 30 minute job. Easy enough that I could do it.

-Geoff

They also sell drain plugs with slightly oversized threads for this purpose. If I remember right they also come with a tap to slightly oversize the threads and then you use the supplied plugs. Creates very little debris. They work well if you can catch it in time before the threads are completely destroyed.

Last edited:
I had very good luck with a Time-Sert to repair the threads for my '86 FJ60's brake caliper bolt. I've never tried a heli-coil, and probably never will - will stick to Time-Serts if needed on my '71 FJ40 build.

Do you need thread sealer to prevent leak between housing and insert?

Last fill plug on a splitcase, I drilled and tapped to 1/2" pipe. works great.

Do you need thread sealer to prevent leak between housing and insert?
Not that is mentioned anywhere. The real sealing surface is the plug gasket so that's where any leaks would be caught. Also because this is not a pressurized system, the sealing forces shouldn't be too tight.

-Geoff

I had very good luck with a Time-Sert to repair the threads for my '86 FJ60's brake caliper bolt. I've never tried a heli-coil, and probably never will - will stick to Time-Serts if needed on my '71 FJ40 build.

Last fill plug on a splitcase, I drilled and tapped to 1/2" pipe. works great.

There are certainly may ways to go about this. Since I had the case apart I decided to go whole hog.

Next question is whether to replace the perfectly good drain plug threads with steel?

-Geoff

So like many others, I found that my new to me split case had stripped fill plug threads due to overzealous tightening by a PO. I looked through many threads and there are a range of separation options out there from the temporary press fit plugs, to tapping an oversized plug, to the thread inserts to maintain the original size.

I weighed all the options and decided to go with a repair method that would use the original size fill plug. So then it came down to which tread repair kit to use as there are many options such as the helicoil style spring inserts and the Time-Sert style full insert. As you can guess from the title of the post I went with the Time-Sert kit as it was available and it leaves a full steel insert in the case. I wouldn't have done this write-up as everyone references OlympiaFJ60's previous write-up, but at least for me his pictures aren't there so I thought perhaps my pics plus his write-up would be of future value to someone else.

The Time-Sert kit I purchased was part number 1815C and is specific for M18x1.5 threads and contains the short 10mm inserts. This is important because the insert locks in place by having he last few threads formed during insertion. So if the insert is deeper than the thickness of the case you won't be able to lock it down.

-Geoff

Time-Sert kit
View attachment 1884148

View attachment 1884149

View attachment 1884152

Instructions
View attachment 1884150

View attachment 1884151

Do you know if this same kit w/ 10mm inserts will work for a FJ40 Transfer Case?

Does anyone know if this can be installed on an FJ40 with the Transfer installed (not disassembled)? It occurred to me the with the minimal clearance between the end of the insert threads and the transfer gear, there may no be sufficient space to get the insert driver tool in to expand the insert enough. Has anyone tried/done this?

Does anyone know if this can be installed on an FJ40 with the Transfer installed (not disassembled)? It occurred to me the with the minimal clearance between the end of the insert threads and the transfer gear, there may no be sufficient space to get the insert driver tool in to expand the insert enough. Has anyone tried/done this?
Did you ever try this? Success?

-Geoff

Time-Sert kit
View attachment 1884148

View attachment 1884149

View attachment 1884152

Instructions
View attachment 1884150

View attachment 1884151
Excellent product. I have some myself of other sizes.

I have welded and re-drilled dozens of stripped fill plugs on these housings - even with shipping the case housing both ways it is less cost then the timesert kit :)

I was hoping to mine on the truck :)

yeah, single piece case definitely adds some element tp the project. Split-case is a lot easier in this regard.
What I would do it just tap it to 1/2 NPT for now until you have it out on a work bench and disassembled and can fix it correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom