Time for Portals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Winter is decending on the Northeast and it is time to start on a long awaited project for my 97 FZJ80, Volvo portal axles. Please let's not turn this into a thread comparing the Volvo axles to the Mogs, I have settled on the Volvos for their passenger side drop front diff. and relative ease of swap as outlined in the link below. The hard part is trying to source some axles. I am hoping for something on the East Coast to cut down on shipping costs. Anyone have a line on a pair or even a single axle East of the Mississippi or know of a company that deals with these? My quest has begun. I promise a complete documentation with lots of pics as I go.

http://tired-iron.mounet.com/Grace4x4/GRBTLC/default.htm

What are you going to do with your lift?

I picked up a set almost 2 yrs ago and have them stored in PA. They're not for sale as someday I'll get around to using them, but I picked them up cheap (like $250) for the pair in great shape from a yard in upper NY. You'll just have to look around.

Dude that's awesome! I live 30 minutes from Worcester and would love to see the build up. I was thinking of doing this myself but the axles are $$$$! I'll trade my 2.5 for your 6. LOL

So you thinks my 6" Slee System plus the 5" from the portal axles is too much. I was thinking an 80 running on 40x12.50x16's would be awesome and compensate a bit for the low overall gear ration of the axles. I hope these axles will be easier to find if the demand increases here in the US.

MSGGrunt said:
So you thinks my 6" Slee System plus the 5" from the portal axles is too much. I was thinking an 80 running on 40x12.50x16's would be awesome and compensate a bit for the low overall gear ration of the axles. I hope these axles will be easier to find if the demand increases here in the US.

11" is way to tall, I went with 2" springs from Christo and it is just about right. At 30 degrees side angle I can get out and rock the FJ pretty hard and it still feels solid as a rock.

I wouldn't run anything larger than a 38 on the portals, I wish I could have found a 36X11X16 or 37X11X16 but most tires that tall go wider say 12.5 or larger and they would rub on the rear frame rails. When I'm fully flexed in the rear my tires rub a little on the rails.

As far as gearing if you get the "Fast" as they are referred to 5.99:1 ratio axles the 38s let me run 75 hard on the throttle and 65 just cruising.

I don't think the axles will get any cheaper, if it's like anything else as demand increases so does price.

I don't know, i think it may be a bit too tall. Perhaps even top heavy. Also, not sure if even the portals would hold up to 40 inch tires. Maybe, i'm no expert.

Just looking at tireiron's buildup, he put portals on his, with the stock suspension and he was running 38's.

If you do get rid of your 6 inch lift, let me know.

Don't know if I'm a fan of that super skinny look. You made it look too easy.

The portal should handle 40's no problem. If the stock axles can handle 40's then the portals will easily. Heck they probably handle 44's.

You don't. Because I was wheeling with a guy a couple weeks ago that was running portals with 40's. He had no problems. They handled them fine.

Wrench said:
You don't. Because I was wheeling with a guy a couple weeks ago that was running portals with 40's. He had no problems. They handled them fine.

:rolleyes:

TiredIronGRB said:
What were they on?

This.

44.jpg

It weights 4500 pounds.

So not all portals are created equal? I did not know that.I thought they were all the same. My bad sorry. What makes mog axles stronger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom