Time for new shoes.... KO2's or D-Tracs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What terrain do you drive on? Duratrac is better if you encounter mud as ko2 is useless in any form of it. This is why I use Duratracs as both are useable in winter although not great.

Just replaced my 20k k02 with duratrec. If you do more highway keep k02. More snow ice wheeling off-road. Duratrec. I was at a point that I picked up a 100 for more civil needs. Wanted more Aggressive on the 80. In the middle of Kansas City to CO trip right now, no complaints on noise but K02 would have been quieter on the 600+ mile drive out here. And gotten me where I needed to go. Local KC off-road is more muddy. Duratrec will be an advantage.

315/75/16's

Narrowed my choices down to GoodYear Dura-Tracs or BFG KO2's

Which would you choose and why?

I currently have D-Tracs and love them, but considering the KO2's since I can get them a little cheaper
Tough decision between NY and FL.

Duratracs in NY for snow and KO2 in FL for sand.

All good points :)

Main use is long distance highway and plenty of sugar sand at the beach :cool:

Minimal mud use (which is why I don't run MT's anymore) and I'm pretty sure anything I put on her will handle the one day of snow we get each year :doh:

I've got over 120k on these D-Tracs and they've been great, but starting to get noisey :meh:

Also, the sidewalls on the D-Tracs are kind weak as my spare got sliced from a mild rub on a curb :bang:

Question on the lip of the KO2's :hmm:

On my old BFG MT KM's, they had a nice protective lip over the edge, but when switched to the KM2's, the lip was almost flush, which kinda sucked :confused:

Is it the same for the KO2's?

30K and my KO2s were toast. I’m on 315s and never had a faster, weirder wearing tire. I have heard this from a bunch of guys in the tire industry. They look good, and are popular, but have common wear issues. I heard they have gone through a couple of manufacturing changes since release and have improved though. Who knows if this is all common “I heard” folklore or what, but I did not have a good experience with them.

I switched to Toyo ATIIs, could not be happier. Have heard good things about Duratracs for a long time.

30K and my KO2s were toast. I’m on 315s and never had a faster, weirder wearing tire. I have heard this from a bunch of guys in the tire industry. They look good, and are popular, but have common wear issues. I heard they have gone through a couple of manufacturing changes since release and have improved though. Who knows if this is all common “I heard” folklore or what, but I did not have a good experience with them.

I switched to Toyo ATIIs, could not be happier. Have heard good things about Duratracs for a long time.

I'm pretty easy on tires getting well over 100k out of the MT KM's and KM2's and they still had enough tread left for me to sell them off at $100 bucks a pop

I kinda figured I'd get the same or better out of the AT's :hmm:

315/75/16's
I currently have D-Tracs and love them, but considering the KO2's since I can get them a little cheaper

Why would you use a "little" bit of price difference as the only reason on something that you are going to run for 100k miles? If you love the D-Tracs then I would stay with them.

About 25K on my KO2's. Had a bit of road noise at 5-6K for about 2K, then they returned to normal again. Besides that they performed (and still does) great!

Why would you use a "little" bit of price difference as the only reason on something that you are going to run for 100k miles? If you love the D-Tracs then I would stay with them.

Because I got the same mileage out of BFG MT's in the past :smokin: (unheard of, I know)

I figured I would get the same or better out of the KO2's, but I've never had them :hmm:

I'd be saving $150 going with the KO2's

Because I got the same mileage out of BFG MT's in the past :smokin: (unheard of, I know)

I figured I would get the same or better out of the KO2's, but I've never had them :hmm:

I'd be saving $150 going with the KO2's

$150 over 100k miles or 5+ years isn't much.....just saying. Again, I would chose the tire I wanted to run.

$150 over 100k miles or 5+ years isn't much.....just saying. Again, I would chose the tire I wanted to run.

It's not just the money, I'd also prefer a stronger sidewall (my only real gripe on the D-Tracs)

Since they're both comparable, I figured I'd ask what others prefer

I've got KO2's on my 4Runner and I'm not crazy about them when its wet, FWIW

I've had both (285/75r16), and currently run KO2's. The KO2's are not perfect, but I think they are a better tire than the Duratracs. I run a dedicated snow tire since both tires are garbage in the winter around here. My KO2's are around 20k miles right now and they look brand new.

Can't comment on KO2's but I had a set of 315 75 16 Duratracs on my pig for 5 and half years with no issues at all. Wheeled them in Colorado and Moab no problems at all. Really a great all around tire. Had about 35000 miles on them with a decent amount of tred life remaining. They do have a tendency to chunk quite a bit if you're wheeling in the rough stuff. Road noise is minimal for as aggressiveas they look. Only reason I got rid of them is because I wanted a more aggressive tire so I went with Yokohama G0003 MTs which have been pretty good too.

On my old BFG MT KM's, they had a nice protective lip over the edge, but when switched to the KM2's, the lip was almost flush, which kinda sucked :confused:

Is it the same for the KO2's?

Yeah, it's the same, almost flush. Here's the KO2 vs Duratrac's I had before.

UILagSdphzcrAmimCM9SwktYT-q1vzPcohh7Z1w7t8yKPTle4WYuBd4QpfvbL1gx2bjKbQ274L-jbXFF1KaoNx9Wvmhz_eBJx9EmA8ry2gBFkiiLErfPevN7RWLzOW8Yf4Q3tS5bTRdBBaXa-t57MvaP1Q-W5TbOGEu8v3Hvn7wjEuokzy0JeD5fD5VwS1bk3f6tDtFnVFhZz1wwP8GOmbOmGUoXSlRnhmjNOpFTYfpnGQ8lGUwHnQhEU9NVSZPZMDtkln-kYJ7Z2GpxirFACfjXRHxRZIRUt-01oUFDJPH9f4UTMIUh81bkVUbBfz_qO9wGwkrl186x1Rk2-lnWj6Xoaky3lHwfYSZkExnYoihOSDrGLah0iJZv2i1b4fHKTqVcMYNgwQ5b16T3rumhfdos7DJUdwQlM4XWLC1LK7jIh-invC3D-COtNdSKdaSiGVHk7G5cd0mVRFeqMP-HT0SBdSJHwqoquBtXlSpE0tkfF1JSt__oRrxyjD-4VLfkYKV6yl6wSQb9VoyHeeP-0PlzmdZr5G-1Qd9NRkCrLLkMitZma9yybjkl1ISEkHOLDp5cgpGjOJjQbOfBGECiahb6dns7_xuhouevTEw4uw=w1426-h1069-no

ZtRQTpvEoK5168ERNQT7UMryTJX5U3hjoLzZJ_QXyDYYvrULJeYC-sZEM1OpX60widViLYm-GhgIOqp3hOdTNnAhtM17iYBlwz2UytzsazY41QC91b0kW_POHE0rcA48jKCMeHRLyc06W3HjWgxQ-lPoUvtE7MgJvH4ZnK4fE6yYOBfOTczANqQ9Iqpl8iC9UUeCwyMiHnCxsJ6LgaqOac2i_fhpKn9oZ9DKie9q3W5IkKZ7nMjYMHaukiIuLN0zLHGd3mblgD0Dh9DaOZ3KrIdZB7QL3nBi0KXpNFtPYyMharC1usCjPNikFIz79_IwSDhycbumD23t8hf3X9ky7Kf8Fogwt3UjpZ-MQ3B20huuyYGUhej6zAjpjveUcfZvClWCbsMMexmnY8mbJL94aiIpPnldYnvutmg5RKGW3jOjqLvEwzYUgjVMAJlvMgw3UpaL3ZhC9qYEXjKRdCFsxENe0QcMOs7koYRUlHDlzk6bQQA7-jGtDRE8bHdd2egoG66f6A5Vta1gn780wgduSZEZ_-HnrUWnZ3cs06eAEq4S5n-cDBGeoQUOEnH5bYmPv_QW3ZCgizoCKfSnjejZ7kh3zu_BeObgE5p7aLaBqQ=w1426-h1069-no

My vote would also before the KO2's, but they suit me better mostly because I do a lot of highway miles. I found the Duratrac's quite a bit louder. Especially after they have worn down a bit.

Ugh, I don't like the flush lip :(

On the other hand, a problem I did have with the D-Tracs was that the big lip liked to push out wheel weights when aired down :confused:

After running low on the sand, I'd air up to head home and they'd randomly fire off in my wheelwells like bullets o_O

They'd be fine if I kept the pressure up, but once I'd air down, they'd get loose enough to go flyin :bang:

Ended up yanking all the weights and went with beads :meh:

I’ve had both, you wouldn’t be going wrong with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom