Time for my own starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
Appears it's finally time for my own starting issue. As I've watched similar threads over the years here haven't noticed anything with these symptoms. It's cold here finally, teens at night. About a month ago, got in the truck after it sat in the garage overnight, went to start it, got a half crank out of the starter and then nothing. Electrical still on. Turned key back and then started again, no issues. Figured maybe the cold got the battery, even though it wasn't that old. Replace it at Costco.

Move forward to this morning, get in to take kids to school, same behavior. Turn key to start, get a 1/4 crank out of starter and then nothing. Turned key back, tried again, same thing. Off again, start again, started no problem. Seems that once it's started and run, the problem won't repeat. Battery showing 14.3v on Scangauge.

230k on truck, original starter and alternator. I was pondering starter contacts that are in alignment for that first blip but then lose contact and stop, but that wouldn't explain being able to restart. Or maybe they're just worn and "weak". Anyway, any thoughts?

Weird. With a weak battery you'll sometimes get the chattering caused by the starter solenoid latching, then sending power to the starter motor which draws down the voltage and causes the solenoid to unlatch. This happening over and over causes the chattering. This doesn't sound like that type of a voltage issue though? Maybe an issue with a bad spot on the commutator getting poor contact with the brushes? I would be inclined to pull the starter and take a look inside to see what's going on.

Sounds like a starter issue to me.

Getting similar issue here and my starter is about 2 years old. My alternator is getting ready to die but don't think it's related.

How are your grounds? I always start there as it's free. Then check battery/charging voltages because it's free.

Battery showing 14.3 is peak charging from alternator. Check batt before starting.

Sure, it's probably the starter, but I like to try the easy free stuff and look for any change.

might as well replace the starter if he was gonna pull it out.
I guess that all depends on your budget and personality. I would personally rather refurbish a starter that just needs to have the commutator cleaned up or needs new contacts or whatever, but that's just me. Or you can put a new $300 starter in instead if that's your thing.

Sounds like the plunger in the solenoid to me. After checking all battery connections and grounds...I think I'd plan on putting in a new starter and rebuilding the old for a spare. Bet you'll find contacts on their last legs and a corroded plunger.

I guess that all depends on your budget and personality. I would personally rather refurbish a starter that just needs to have the commutator cleaned up or needs new contacts or whatever, but that's just me. Or you can put a new $300 starter in instead if that's your thing.
for all the work to get to it, to chance those are not gonna fail again? i went with the denso reman for $150.

Follow up, replaced the starter with a new Toyota reman, appears to have solved this issue. Was just a strange twist in that it would half crank and then die, I figured the starter was either working or not. Anyway, hopefully solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom