Time for disc brakes on my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my poor baby sprung a leak in the right front drum and after talking to Noah Baldwin I think I've decided to bite the bullet and take the opportunity to convert to discs all around. Spoke to Noah and he said converting to disc is a great way to go. Mines a 1969 fj40 so he mentioned it would likely need a front axle conversion. As a relative fj40 neophyte and self proclaimed mechanical retard I was hoping I could get some feedback on what is involved, costs, parts, downtime (she's a daily driver so i'll miss her every second she's away), etc. Noah has a great reputation on here so i'm feeling confident, just wanna go into the endeavor with open eyes.

Any experiences from others with this kinda job (yes I lurked the forums and read stuff on the conversion but i am by no means and expert), possible speedbumps, parts issues or anything else an fj40 newbie should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Pic for your entertainment:

SD

IMG_1075.JPG

Not a lot of traffic here lately. I'd say go for it too. I did front discs on my 40 15+ years ago and never looked back. Still has the same pads. Did the rears a few years later using Posers brackets.

Did both front and rear on my 65 FJ45 a few years ago and happy as can be. It's a pretty easy swap with the right parts. 69 and up SHOULD have the correct axle.
Dom