Time for a winch!! Any suggestions?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd say look for a older model HS or XD9000 or 9500 from Warn if you can find it. They're compact, fit many aftermarket bumpers (like 4x4labs / MaF/ ARB) and have great spool speed.
...and best of all, they're cheap on the used market compared to the chonker M-series Warns.

Mines not 2 miles....but the lower 1/2 is prlly 10% (guessing) pics are decieving. Your driveway looks flat tho 🤣😂😂😅🤣😅😃😂 I'm at 9700' in the Continental Divide/Colorado. Up the street from me is the highest.paved road in North America...Mt. Evans at 14000'ish....
that is the flatest part and it rises about 12 ft in that 100 ft stretch. It was also about 13" in snow at the time...HA!

the way you plan to use it i’d say be ready to pay for a good winch thats fairly water tight. you’re going to want one that can handle neglect. the cheap ones if not used and maintained i imaging will not work well when you actually need them. these things are kind of like first aid kits. you never really want to need it but when you do you need it to work without having to fix it first

at least that’s my philosophy. ill be looking at a xeon with synthetic rope sometime soon i think

I installed a slightly used Warn 8274-50 I bought here on MUD on my '86 FJ60, mounted on a Warn bumper made specifically for the FJ60. Did great winching the '86 over some spots on Imogene Pass when I was having problems with 4WD engagement.

1576120185933.png

1576120207858.png

1576120225167.png

I should just come to Colorado with my excavator. 😁
Absolutely!!! I need drainage/culvert work too....the mountain run off is treacherous to the bottom 1/2 of driveway....so bad, I had to replace a support beam under the cabin when I bought it...was terribly rotted from the run off....I'll supply the beer + pizza!!!

My driveway makes yours look like a paved parking lot. HA! Mine is 2 miles on a 4-8 percent grade. Switch backs, the whole nine yards. The local jeep club comes up occassionally for a "Trail ride"...and yes I have to pull a few out of the snow banks. Did I mention I live at 6,000 ft in the mountains of montana?

View attachment 2154509

View attachment 2154510

When I was trying to get my truck out...I was going back and forth...this created "ravines" of deep snow/ice mess...can't snowblow it...shoveling seems like torture. What about melting it with those driveway heater cables??? Possible? Figured I'd ask you seeing ya have Mtn experience 🤣🤣🤣😁😁😂😂

Smthn like the pic...I have time to melt it, as long as it takes....I don't have the desire to shovel thru this mess!!!
Screenshot_20191213-065612.png

This could be fun!!!! 🤣😁😂😂😅🤣😁😂😂i
Screenshot_20191213-072421.png

Absolutely!!! I need drainage/culvert work too....the mountain run off is treacherous to the bottom 1/2 of driveway....so bad, I had to replace a support beam under the cabin when I bought it...was terribly rotted from the run off....I'll supply the beer + pizza!!!
After that come help me build my cabin near Crater Lake 😁
:hmm:I think you need to put a plow on the front of your 60 :idea:

This may help. Flame throwing drone.

Man alive, that would be a lot of fun! If you have a short enough stretch to melt, what better way than a flame thrower of sorts!
That seems really expensive for a weed burner. The burner itself is forty bucks or so at D and B, plus forty ish for a propane tank, so they are charging ~$200 for the pack frame to strap it to...? I do like my weed burner though! There's something satisfying about killing with fire. 🔥 Although don't try to use it on big paper wasp nests. The results don't quite match the expectations.

If I don't die...and can make a CPL more snowblower passes I think I'll get 'er done!! Dying is definitely a possibility tho. 🤣😅😂😂😂
IMG_20191213_105648.jpg
IMG_20191213_105703.jpg

I got a free Zeon 8k from MUD...(i thought a bit undersized for an almost 7k rig, but snatch blocks are your friends) it fits perfectly in the old style ARB front bumper..

I have only used it once, but boy im glad a had it (and a 4+ rear bumper) ....
It saved my rig at GESNM when the ground under the rear right wheel gave way.....

For snow like that.. you probably better off with a CAT front loader....
Just saying....

Nah you don’t need any of all that, this is what you need!
View attachment 2155687
Not so sure about the spare tire that might not be needed. :lol: Locked diffs with blown track the spare might get you out?

Awesome looking property you have!
That's a bad ass rig!!!

Is that your pumphouse
View attachment 2155722
I’d love to go to Colorado to do some well pump work...:p
I can’t believe all he has is a snowblower for that. That’s crazy. My dinky driveway is only about 100’ and I only shovel it but some storms I really kick myself for still not buying a snowblower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom