Time for a winch!! Any suggestions?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WSOPgold2012

MoxieMan
SILVER Star
Threads
Get back to cabin after 2 months in Vegas and the Rig fired right up...thanks to the EFI conversion and @Dustin Messina EFI thread!!! I'm very pleased. Also came back to 2' snow and managed to get rig stuck in a compromising position, altho, I was on 2 wheels for what felt like eternity before landing back on 4.....so, cldve been much much worse.

Shldve waited for my snowblower, which was at shop for tune up... Cest la vie!!

Any winch recommendations?? This will be last tow truck I wait for! 😢😢😢😢
IMG_20191211_091644.jpg
IMG_20191211_091721.jpg
IMG_20191211_091609.jpg

First off, nice snow and nice ‘yard.’ Second, wtf were you doing? ;)
Everyone loves the Warn 8274’s, old skool and easy to rebuild but not easy to find and their value is prized so sometimes they can be pretty pricy even if old and beat up. Something quick could be a smittybilt or a few that Tractor Supply sell.
Quick search on the marketplace found this one.

2F913413-36CB-40CA-84FE-05322F561B9B.png

Last edited:
8274's are beasts. They have an amazing line speed which I appreciate over my M12000.

The original 60's with ARB bumpers recommended the M10000 but Warn stopped making the 10 so I went with the M12. The M12 barely fits in between my bumper rails and if you rotate the control box back you can avoid trimming the bumper vertical rail.

I will be putting a 8274 on my 4Runner. It's sitting in my garage waiting for a rebuild.

I do NOT recommend cheap winches. Don't get a badlands and don't get a warn VR series which is their cheap entry level winch.

You'll likely never get stuck like that again since you've learned your lesson (the one we all learn the hard way).
Since you may never need a winch again, but want to install one just in case you screw up again, and your use will be on flat ground in the snow with a zillion trees around, I recommend getting a regular low profile 8000 lb winch and a few tree saver straps and snatch blocks. You won't need more than 100 feet of cable (likely way less) since there's a tree anchor always nearby.

The reason I recommend such a small winch is because they weigh a lot less and chances are you'll never need it. And if you do, a few snatch blocks can create a pully system that will give you plenty of slow pulling power to move the vehicle a bit.

Personally I'm not a fan of small winches at all (having owned a 10K winch for 25 years). The only winch I'd consider putting on a 60 that was mine is the monster Warn 16.5Ti. Nothing less

Last edited:
I run an older style warn VR10000S. It’s worked well in 2 years. When I needed it, it worked but I try to run it monthly to keep the relay from sticking.

I don't know why people talk such smack about the Badlands. We tried the 12K because Harbor Freight had a pretty good sale on them and it's been awesome for The Last 7 Years! We got two more for our other Cruisers. Especially where you won't be using yours very much like OSS said, I think you'd be happy with that kind of setup

I think you should figure out how you are going to mount it (what bumper will you use) then get a winch that will work with that bumper. Another option would be to use a hand winch of some sort--come-a-long or trifor style. For pulling a snow-stuck truck back to exposed surface, these should be sufficient. And you can easily use a hand winch from either end.

I have a pto winch that I got from Holland along w a 5 spd h-55. I put the 5 spd in but really don't need the winch. You will need to shorten the shaft if you have a 4-spd. This, to my knowledge, is a factory set-up that was availale in Europe. The front bumper they used is different but Brandon at Classic Cruisers has one 1500$ plus frt from NC

You'll likely never get stuck like that again since you've learned your lesson (the one we all learn the hard way).
Since you may never need a winch again, but want to install one just in case you screw up again, and your use will be on flat ground in the snow with a zillion trees around, I recommend getting a regular low profile 8000 lb winch and a few tree saver straps and snatch blocks. You won't need more than 100 feet of cable (likely way less) since there's a tree anchor always nearby.

The reason I recommend such a small winch is because they weigh a lot less and chances are you'll never need it. And if you do, a few snatch blocks can create a pully system that will give you plenty of slow pulling power to move the vehicle a bit.

Personally I'm not a fan of small winches at all (having owned a 10K winch for 25 years). The only winch I'd consider putting on a 60 that was mine is the monster Warn 16.5Ti. Nothing less
You would.think I would.learn my lesson ...right??

If I learned from my mistakes 😂😂😁😆😀😁😁😂😆
Screenshot_20191211-154530.png
Screenshot_20191211-154509.png
Screenshot_20191211-154455.png

Same EXACT spot 😆😁😂😀😂😀😀😢🤗🤗🤣😅😃😢😆😀😂🤗

I think you should save the money for the winch and just buy some orange cones and safety tape for that spot....

I think you should save the money for the winch and just buy some orange cones and safety tape for that spot....
Or plow a new route.

Like others, I would suggest a 8274. These have been around forever and are available used for a reasonable amount of money. So much information on rebuilding them and upgrading them. Best winch ever.

😂😀🤣🤣😅😃🤗😂😅😅🤗 What I need to do is have my driveway FIXED!!!
My driveway makes yours look like a paved parking lot. HA! Mine is 2 miles on a 4-8 percent grade. Switch backs, the whole nine yards. The local jeep club comes up occassionally for a "Trail ride"...and yes I have to pull a few out of the snow banks. Did I mention I live at 6,000 ft in the mountains of montana?

criveway.jpg

dodge1.jpg

My driveway makes yours look like a paved parking lot. HA! Mine is 2 miles on a 4-8 percent grade. Switch backs, the whole nine yards. The local jeep club comes up occassionally for a "Trail ride"...and yes I have to pull a few out of the snow banks. Did I mention I live at 6,000 ft in the mountains of montana?

View attachment 2154509

View attachment 2154510
Mines not 2 miles....but the lower 1/2 is prlly 10% (guessing) pics are decieving. Your driveway looks flat tho 🤣😂😂😅🤣😅😃😂 I'm at 9700' in the Continental Divide/Colorado. Up the street from me is the highest.paved road in North America...Mt. Evans at 14000'ish....

Rear locker not much help, agree winch useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom