Time for a Stereo Upgrade! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I drove my wife's Volvo XC-90 around the other day, and I was blown away by the stereo system. I had done a pretty good upgrade in my last cruiser (80-series), but my current 100 is the factory mess that is actually painful to listen to.

So, here's the gear I will be installing:

JVC KD-AVX2 DVD Receiver
JVC CH-X1500 12 CD Changer (not sure where I'm going to put this.)
Sirius SIR-JVC1 Tuner (not sure where I'll put this either)
Alpine MRP-F250 Amplifier (for front and rear door speakers) (will replace factory amp)
Eclipse SE8365 6.5" Speakers (4 Doors)

Alpine MRD-M300 AMP (I plan to mount this on the passenger side in the rear cargo area inside of the panels. This powers the sub.)

The sub is a tuned tube containing a 12inch Alpine R-Type woofer that will sit in the rear cargo area behind the 3rd row seats (I have 4 kids...)

I should have everything on hand next week and begin the install next weekend (5/5).

Any suggestions from the group would be most appreciated before I get in this too deep.

Thanks!
Casey
Denver, CO
1999 Cruiser

OK, should first admit that I am pretty pleased with the stock unit, so my comments have to be taken in that context. :)

In this day and age I would skip a CD changer all together. Take some time and rip all your music to mp3, wma, ACC, Ogg Vorbis, or whatever format you prefer and install a digital audio player (iPod of course being the most popular, but there are other options).

Or, cannot remember the brand, but there are head units out there that come with hard drives built in. You simply load all your (music) files on them. No messing around with CDs (or DVDs for that matter).

My $.02...

But, I'd be very interested to follow your upgrade. Post pictures and info as you have time.

Ambitious project!

In this day and age I would skip a CD changer all together. Take some time and rip all your music to mp3, wma, ACC, Ogg Vorbis, or whatever format you prefer and install a digital audio player (iPod of course being the most popular, but there are other options).

+1 - of course I like the stock unit with the manageable controls just wish I could get the AM reception to match that on my Camry.

Suprised you are willing to give up the cargo room in the back for the bass tube. How many screens for the DVD ?

There are several good threads on stereo upgrades with links from the FAQ.

All the gear can go in the rear cargo area panels and rip out the Toyota amp under the drivers seat for either an amp or tuner. Install quick release speaker connection in your cargo area so you can remove the sub and wiring if needed. I have an amp and a DVD 12 disc changer in the side with the pocket (drivers side in Aussie version). I access the DVD from the pocket as I have simply unbolted the storage pocket from the panel and have the DVD close to the tail light mounted upright.
DSCN0774.JPG
DSCN4384.JPG
DSCN4387.JPG

couple more shots
DSCN0769.JPG
DSCN0773.JPG

Looks very neat.

The Aussi version seem to be a bit different in the back. More "hatches" to open up.

On the right side, US version where the interior siding seem thicker, you have cup holders up front, and behind that, on top, a long fairly deep compartment. I store flashlights, batteries, and hazard triangles there. We do not have the lower compartment, nor the "vent" opening behind the wheel well.

What the cars have in common though, is that they are way to "delicate" in the back. I'd like to have good "rubber type" carpeting all over the cargo area as a factory default.

Yeah I removed the cup holder and installed the DVD controls and source controls for the rear head rests. I did have the deep pocket you are talking about but it simply unscrews from the inside and this is where I access my DVD changer and makes room for my amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom