1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new rig

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Mickldo, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Mickldo

Mickldo

Time for a new rig.

No, the 80's not going anywhere. The wife wants to sell her Suzuki Vitara 1.6i wagon. She wants to get a Toyota Prado KZJ90.

The problem is I want a Hard-core rig to save the 80 from getting trashed each time I go out playing. I'll try to keep the 80 for long distance expeditions and for the wife to drive to work.

My idea is a SWB rig or a Ute then mod it for hardcore fun;exo, lockers, winch, etc.

I want something in the 100-110" wheelbase and I want it light but I want it strong.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a BJ74, HZJ75, BJ42, Suzuki Sierra Ute, Daihatsu Rocky Ute, Hilux, Range Rover.
    Something with solid axles front and rear, good low range reduction, etc.

So who knows what wheelbases their rigs are and how much their rigs weigh?

Would it be better to stretch a shorty or bobtail a ute to get the right wheelbase/overhang?

What are your thoughts on a SWB (softtop or hardtop) body style versus a Ute cab?

Personally I'm leaning towards the Daihatsu Rocky Ute. Small compact cab, Turbo diesel motor, different to the norm, cheap purchase price. I'd just have to swap in Hilux axles so I could fit selectable lockers (plus SOA and increased track).

So guys, what are your personal preferences for this type of rig?

:cheers:Mick

2. Lupdog

Lupdog

I got no info on specifics here but here's my opinion on your prefered options:

BJ74, HZJ75, BJ42, Hilux - I'd be looking at these but then being a Toyota man its to be expected. Don't think you'll get many going for the other options on this board! Personal fav would be BJ42 but I'm a sucker for 40's.

Diahatsu Rocky - just not strong enough but if your going to be swapping in Toyota axles why not go for a Toyota to start with?

Suzuki very capable offroad and lots of people love them and mod them. Might be on the small side?

Range Rover - capable offroad as well, but reliabilty lets them down. My mate has a Rangie and a Landrover and he nevers seems to be able to keep both of them out of the shop at the one time. I do like the Rangie V8 though. Good on gas and sounds nice but dodgy electrics and mechanicals will cost you.

:)

3. Mickldo

Mickldo

Yeah I'm a Cruiser man myself but I think that they are a bit heavy for what I want this to do. Hence my requests for weights.

I'm a sucker for Daihatsus too though. I own a F20, F55 and half an F10. People under estimate their capabilities. Think Sierra with stronger driveline rather than LC with weaker drivline.

Most of my mates are recommending GQ Patrols because they drive them but I want something different.

Cruiser and give it a diet or beef up a smaller rig?

4. Lupdog

Lupdog

Not sure about Diahatsu models but seems like your up to speed. From what I gather the rocky is not up to scratch compared to the others. Are the F20, F55 etc the older models? Scat?

5. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

i had a Toyota Blizzard for a while (same as the Diahatsu Rocky but the rocky is a gasser, no?) and that was a cool rig.
    if i was to go for light weight and go anywhere i would go with the Suzki... they are robust and if you get stuck you don't need a winch, just 4 big burly guys and out it comes...

suzuki or bobbed 75 series would be my choices..

6. Lupdog

Lupdog

My old man had a Toyota blizzard. I think that's the same as a diahatsu scat over here. The rocky came out later I think but what we call a Rocky may be different to yours.:)

7. Mickldo

Mickldo

F10- early petrol SWB
    F20- later petrol SWB
    F50- 4 speed diesel SWB
    F60- 5 speed diesel SWB
    F25- petrol Ute
    F55- 4 speed diesel Ute
    F65- 5 speed diesel Ute

Yeah they were sometimes called Scats.

The Blizzards were rebadged Scats by Toyota using Hilux motors.

Most of the componentry on Daihatsus are identical to Toyota parts too. It's just a matter of knowing which model.

My thoughts behind using a Rocky rather than a Hilux was to get a narrower cab for the really tight stuff. I'm not sure how much narrower they are but I've seen a few with Hilux axles under them and the tyres stick out a fair way from the guards.

8. Mickldo

Mickldo

Quick pic of Piglets Daihatsu in the OBC.

Similar to what I want to do but using the Scat instead of a Rocky.

View attachment 88167

9. Lupdog

Lupdog

There a fully worked diahatsu ute (among other rigs), on display outside TJM(?) on Beaudesert road if your ever down Brisbane way. It's a comp vehicle that is totally tricked up and moded so much that I couldn't tell you what model its is. Looks pretty cool.

10. Lupdog

Lupdog

HAHAHAHA, just saw your last post! Thats the one, lol. Was trying to remember the number plate - Pig something. Man thats funny!:D

11. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    I am so jealous that you even have the choice amoungst those trucks!

You get way cooler machinery than we do... dang it!

12. Mickldo

Mickldo

My main concern is to keep the cost down so that if the car is rolled or totalled it is not a great drama, as opposed to my 80 which is starting to become a money pit which makes it hard commiting to a hard line.

I've been thinking some more today about it and have narrowed it down to the Rocky Ute, Hilux, BJ74 or Bundera.

I'm thinking that the BJ might be a bit wide in the cab and a bit heavy though. But it redeems itself by having a heaps stronger drivetrain (and it's a Cruiser).

The Hilux would be the sensible choice according to my (warped) reasoning but everybody has them.

The main reason behind my wanting something different (apart from the normal reasons) is to stand out from the rest of the crowd if I get this vehicle to a stage where I would want to start competing in it and am chasing sponsership.

But by the same thought process if I want to compete having an identifiable vehicle with cheaper replacement parts that already is proven for the comps would be a benefit.

Would a Hilux/Rocky sized chassis/drivetrain be strong enough for winch challenge/short course style events?

Would a BJ74 sized rig be too heavy for this type of event? Let me rephrase that-Would going to a lighter more compact rig than a BJ74 be an advantage for this style of comp?

How much lighter is a Bundera(LJ70 ?) compared to a BJ74?

Too many ideas, too many questions why can't this be easy.:doh:

13. crushers

lj70 1680 kg
    bj74 1870 kg
    190 kg or about 418 lbs

14. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    i had a rocky for a short time.short wheel base cant remember what year:rolleyes: ive had so many rigs.anyway the little freaking thing was cool.small but cool.my biggest problem was the transmission it worked fine it just cracked so easy.and in the end the cruiser won over.i got the tub and all back on thats why i sold it.but i had fun in it

15. Mickldo

Mickldo

Thanks for the replies.:beer:

I'm going down to LandCruiser Mountain Park (Disney Land for big kids) this weekend to watch the Winch Challenge so I'm going to chat with a few of the competitors for their opinions on comp vehicles.

Hopefully they'll be able to offer some constructive advise rather than the usual "just get a Patrol" I get from most of them.

16. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star

If I were going to start from scratch and build a Truggy, I'd go a 45 Truck. - Definitely not a Hilux, nor something with a Short Wheelbase.

17. Mickldo

Mickldo

That's my idea behind the BJ, something a bit beefier than a Hilux/Rocky. My problem is I also want a lightweight rig, so I have to decide the level of weight vs strength.

Not only am I undecided on the Make/Model for the project but I'm also trying to work out if I prefer a Ute cab with a bobtailed tube tray or a Hard top SWB body with an extended wheelbase. I've decided that a soft top isn't for me as I like not being covered in dust/mud. The SWB body will have more room for recovery gear/fridge but the Ute cab will have less sheetmetal to damage.

What do you reckon would be lighter, a ute cab plus tray or a SWB body?

18. crushers

if the tray is aluminum then i would say the bobbed tray back

19. Mickldo

Mickldo

Yeah thats what I'm thinking too.

If I did a bobtailed tray the floor would be Alloy but the rollbar and coaming rails would be steel tube.

20. Mickldo

Mickldo

I'm back!

Just got home from the winch challenge and after talking to a few of the competitors I reckon I might be on the right track with my line of reasoning.

A few of the front runners said for their next rigs they were going for a lighter rig then what they are currently running, as well as going to the 100-110" wheelbase.

Here's a couple of pics of Piglets Daihatsu at the comp.

View attachment 89079

View attachment 89080

View attachment 89081

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">