Time Capsule, 67 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtntopper

SILVER Star
Threads
Just acquired this '67 FJ40 which was advertised by the flipper, who possessed it for a week, as having a straight body (mostly correct) and 44k actual miles. After getting it home and going through it a bit, I've found no reason to dispute the mileage.

This is how it sat when I got to it.
IMG957954.jpg
IMG957955.jpg

First thing I noticed that got my blood pressure rising, pushed in front corner.
20210319_141209.jpg

Next and thankfully final disappointing discovery, the shock tower is pushed back slightly at the same corner, enough to shear at least one structural rivet.
20210322_162026.jpg
20210322_162022.jpg

I've been told that rivet will not be possible to reproduce and I will have to use Grade 8 bolts in place of the rivets on that shock tower.

Nice vehicle, congrats. So, do you still believe the mileage ? Seems like it was hit , and pretty hard to shear rivets.

Nice find, looks solid! What are your plans?

Probably 144K but still really cool! Whats the interior look like?

While passing through Salt Lake City on the way home, made the obligatory stop at the Landcruiser Heritage Museum.
20210320_091427.jpg

Now the good stuff. While the brakes are somewhat siezed, I was able to get moving enough to see that the speedo works just fine. Good sign.
20210322_164809.jpg

The truck came with the state registrations from new (1967) until 1990 which appears to be the last year it was registered. This oil change sticker shows an oil change in 1988. With 400 fewer miles than it currently shows.
20210322_161836.jpg

Factory stickers on the motor
20210322_161634.jpg

Last edited:
Nice vehicle, congrats. So, do you still believe the mileage ? Seems like it was hit , and pretty hard to shear rivets.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I think the corner went into a snow bank based on the uniform delivery of force, no crinkles anywhere. Also no tool marks indicating g someone tried to repair it.

My mom put a screen like that in front of her F350 radiator, made out of heavy duty “pet” screen for windows and sliding doors. Thinking was if they got big bugs or rocks it would save the radiator. Had it on for 5 years until it was so caked in dirt and bugs that no air flowed and she cooked her tranny and overheated the engine pulling her horse trailer in the middle of nowhere. Just a fun fact for the day. I was also watching the classified thread; glad to see you got it.

Nice find, looks solid! What are your plans?

Probably 144K but still really cool! Whats the interior look like?
I absolutely believe those miles to be accurate for several anecdotal reasons, some I've shared, some are coming.
As such, my plans are to preserve this extremely low mileage rig to the highest standards possible in consult with all the experts here that take the time to share their knowledge. I'm going to take it very slow with this one, I haven't found a single part on it that isn't the one it came from the factory with.
I have the '71 to take the top off of and daily drive and wheel a little. This '67 is going into preservation mode while I'm lucky enough to be it's temporary steward.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom