Time Capsule, 67 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guessing the hood, apron, fender and bib are all off an earlier 4X series and someone just drilled the holes for the pads. Those four pieces are the ones the paint is peeling. For the shock tower to have that far body took a pretty hard hit. Wouldn't be surprised if more than just those four body pieces came off the donor. Was a time 40 series were not that hard to find in wrecking yards. Eighties and nineties I collected a lot of parts off 40 series.
Yes, seems like it took a pretty good hit. I've got the brakes working and I drained the gas and put in some fresh, it's running great. I will be driving it across town early next week to put it on the frame machine. I'm pretty anxious to see what the real deal with the Collison damage is.

What a smoking rig! This may have been the steal of the year, I'm starting to think that I should have ran over to buy it.
Back in early 2018, Mtntopper's '71 was parked at the corner of an intersection, just one block from my place of employment. I thought about what a cool rig it was, and wondered why I ever sold my first 40. At the time, I was limping around with a case shingles, in a state or reality-twisting pain. By the time that finally finished, the seed was planted, and thought to myself, I really got to get my life together, I hit up Craigslist, and saw that the '71 was actually being listed for sale, and sure enough, there was a for-sale sign on the 40's windshield. The seller, (not the same one that Mtntopper got it from) seemed flaky, and I was hot on the trail of my '75. The white '71 was basically being unloaded for next to nothing, but I decided that I couldn't test drive it, as it had no hydraulic fluid in both the clutch and brake reservoirs, but, the seller really thought that I should take it around the block. I had to show him how to use a choke, and we were both high from him using the majority of a can of starter fluid in the carb, after he finally found the keys and the jump-starter-pack.

I still can't shake the one-that-got-away feeling when I drive thru that intersection.

Drum brake Cruisers that dive hard to one side when braking have fluid on their drums, as it begins to leak all at once after long periods of neglect, happened on my first 40.

Back in early 2018, Mtntopper's '71 was parked at the corner of an intersection, just one block from my place of employment. I thought about what a cool rig it was, and wondered why I ever sold my first 40. At the time, I was limping around with a case shingles, in a state or reality-twisting pain. By the time that finally finished, the seed was planted, and thought to myself, I really got to get my life together, I hit up Craigslist, and saw that the '71 was actually being listed for sale, and sure enough, there was a for-sale sign on the 40's windshield. The seller, (not the same one that Mtntopper got it from) seemed flaky, and I was hot on the trail of my '75. The white '71 was basically being unloaded for next to nothing, but I decided that I couldn't test drive it, as it had no hydraulic fluid in both the clutch and brake reservoirs, but, the seller really thought that I should take it around the block. I had to show him how to use a choke, and we were both high from him using the majority of a can of starter fluid in the carb, after he finally found the keys and the jump-starter-pack.

I still can't shake the one-that-got-away feeling when I drive thru that intersection.

Drum brake Cruisers that dive hard to one side when braking have fluid on their drums, as it begins to leak all at once after long periods of neglect, happened on my first 40.
That's a great story @Dizzy, thanks for sharing. When I saw that '71 on CL, I jumped straight up and called the owner at 7am on a Sunday, had it on my trailer on Wednesday. Thanks for putting some love into waking it up. She's back in her zone now.
Re the brakes: I had to pull the entire brake system on that one (except for the steel lines), it would lock up the front left wheel while the other wheels just coasted to infinity.
I should have done a thread on bringing that truck back from the grave, I'll pick up the slack with this '67.

Do you still have the little copper tag with the build month/date attached to the VIN plate under the hood?
No tag present. I suspect that fender has been replaced as well because the horn and some screws are missing. Is there another way to find out the build date?

Gracias!
Curse of too many projects. I think its obligatory to being an active Mud member!
Now back to the original program. Steve, for the record I have first dibs on the gun rack....
When you say "curse," are you saying it is beyond the boundaries of a treatable condition? Because that would make sense to me.
Jon, who did you say that guy was around Steamboat that was parting out some 40's please. I'm trying to find the best match on some body panels. Thanks.

No tag present. I suspect that fender has been replaced as well because the horn and some screws are missing. Is there another way to find out the build date?

Brass tag was used when a vehicle sat and was sold in another year. Build date is easy on 64+ FJ40. SOR has one on their site. Go to the 45 section towards the bottom of the main page. Go to the sticky for the LWB list. First post has a link to the chart on SOR's site. Numbers in the chart are for the first one made that month.

I’d go with the engine block date, close enough. Looks like the original motor.

When you say "curse," are you saying it is beyond the boundaries of a treatable condition? Because that would make sense to me.
Jon, who did you say that guy was around Steamboat that was parting out some 40's please. I'm trying to find the best match on some body panels. Thanks.
Steve
@swampthing has some 40 rigs but not sure if he is parting with anything off them. What exactly are you looking for and I will keep ears open?
Cheers

Thanks Jon.

I'm supposd to circle back with Classic Cruisers today, but it sounds like a white left fender is still needed.

I was trying to find a fender locally but looks like I need to branch out a bit. If anyone might know of a good condition left front white fender for the '67 or equivalent years, I would love to chat please.
Got it registered today and put 6 miles on it. Picking up the hood, apron and bib this week and headed to the frame machine by Friday. He wants it for a couple weeks over there.
The shock tower is going to be repaired at the same time, there is some discussion there to be had on how best to proceed.
20210329_193426.jpg

Headed to Classic Cruisers tomorrow am to grab a hood, skirt and fender. I've talked to several people about trying to find the proper color and vintage fender, the consensus seems to be that I'm about 25 yrs too late to the party on that one. Classic Cruisers did scratch up a proper vintage straight fender in good shape but wrong color, I'm taking it and will worry about matching the finish later. Next stop is to take these new panels with the truck to the body shop, once everything is square, I will take it back apart to match the finish.

?

?
Those are fantastic. I was able to find a nice apron, it's the fender that's being elusive.

Congratulations! That should offer a satisfying feeling to both parties, like completing a FJ40 puzzle!

Great find! I wandered through their grave yard many times back when it was in Salida and Merle owned it. I was always amazed at the treasures they had in there.

Glad you were able to find the right parts with the right patina :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom