Time Capsule, 67 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why no hooks for the windshield on the hood? Aren't there factory catches on the windshield for them? That hood bumper style is unobtanium... Be careful with the studs if you ever remove them.
Stay tabs are present on the windshield frame.
20210325_072153.jpg

No stay tabs or hooks or holes for them on the hood.
20210325_072059.jpg
20210325_072120.jpg

My '71 hood for reference.
20210325_072047.jpg

I’m wondering If that hood and driver fender were replaced at some point. Any hood after ‘64 should have the windshield catch hooks with LVs being the exception. Also that might explain why the paint in those areas aged so much worse. Also along that front in the mid 60s Toyota used a base primer of red, then gray, before the final top coat color. You can see it here on my ‘64 original paint.

F3A60C4F-D692-4DBE-99D4-4EB0E4B914B5.jpeg
3684A151-89F5-496D-A629-7F6E759FB9A2.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m wondering If that hood and driver fender were replaced at some point. Any hood after ‘64 should have the windshield catch hooks with LVs being the exception. Also that might explain why the paint in those areas aged so much worse. Also along that front in the mid 60s Toyota used a base primer of red, then gray, before the final top coat color. You can see it here on my ‘65 original paint.

View attachment 2625757View attachment 2625763
I think you just got to the heart of it. Excellent information, thank you.

Just got off the phone with Brandon over at Classic Cruisers in Poncha. Sounds like they have the correct vintage and color and patinad body panels I need. I think these panels should be replaced for two reasons:

1. They have already been replaced but are incorrect.
2. My friend with the Collison center really wanted straight panels to work with too as opposed to repairing the existing ones.

If somebody has some reasons why I shouldn't replace those panels please speak now.

Thanks for your keen observations @ClemsonCruiser.

I think replacing them with original patina hood, fenders is an awesome idea. It will make your already amazing Cruiser pretty much perfect!

I'd bet that Toyota ended their 45LV, or fixed-top 45, production run ('67), but didn't know where to unload the extra hoods. So, they sent someone out with a hand drill and poked some holes for bumpers, but didn't want to spot-weld thru primer for the catch-hooks stay-tabs.
?

I'd bet that Toyota ended their 45LV, or fixed-top 45, production run ('67), but didn't know where to unload the extra hoods. So, they sent someone out with a hand drill and poked some holes for bumpers, but didn't want to spot-weld thru primer for the catch-hooks stay-tabs.
?
Are you saying the earlier hoods shouldn't have the rubber pads either?

Only Factory Softops came with hood bumpers and hooks up till about mid to late ‘64 with the arrival of the removable top 45s and the non corrugated 40 hard tops. All models except the LV from ‘65 and up had the hood bumpers and windshield hold down latches.

For fun watch this assembly line footage from ‘66-‘67 time frame. You will see in the footage they spray a red primer first, then whitish/gray which they wet sand, then the final color top coat.

I’ve had a lot of original paint Cruisers front the 60s usually the paint fades from the body color to the gray then red underneath not the blotchy patch work like the hood on this ‘67. So I’m fairly confident it’s a replace and repaint job.

Only Factory Softops came with hood bumpers and hooks up till about mid to late ‘64 with the arrival of the removable top 45s and the non corrugated 40 hard tops. All models except the LV from ‘65 and up had the hood bumpers and windshield hold down latches.

For fun watch this assembly line footage from ‘66-‘67 time frame. You will see in the footage they spray a red primer first, then whitish/gray which they wet sand, then the final color top coat.

I’ve had a lot of original paint Cruisers front the 60s usually the paint fades from the body color to the gray then red underneath not the blotchy patch work like the hood on this ‘67. So I’m fairly confident it’s a replace and repaint job.

I'm certain it's a repaint job on replacement panels. Those panels are going to be replaced again, this time with the proper antique pieces. I wonder if it was crashed again after the first repair job because of that front corner being pushed in? So far I'm ok with the damage because I feel it has contributed to it's low mileage and it is repairable.

Nice score, seems I saw this for sale and did dig deep enough as my knowledge of the early 40’s is limited.

My guess would be 44k hard working and well cared for miles around the ranch, used just as an early 40 was intended!

Video was incredible, thanks. Really makes you appreciate the hand made love that goes into the 40.

Guessing the hood, apron, fender and bib are all off an earlier 4X series and someone just drilled the holes for the pads. Those four pieces are the ones the paint is peeling. For the shock tower to have that far body took a pretty hard hit. Wouldn't be surprised if more than just those four body pieces came off the donor. Was a time 40 series were not that hard to find in wrecking yards. Eighties and nineties I collected a lot of parts off 40 series.

What a smoking rig! This may have been the steal of the year, I'm starting to think that I should have ran over to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom