Time Capsule, 67 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice find, I have a 67 as well (best year of them all 🤪). Great pictures, mine is not an original anymore. That radio is awesome.

Will be watching your thread.

Some 40s were used almost as tractors around farms and ranches being used to do various chores around. So just like a tractor, a 40 used in such a fashion would never get a lot of miles. That's why tractors have hour meters instead of odometers. A tractor can have many hours of usage which would bring on lots of worn components similar to a vehicle with a lot of miles. There is a fj40 I know of on a ranch locally with very low miles. AFAIK it's been on the ranch it's whole life and it's pretty hammered.

Your truck looks very original, and from the pictures I would agree with your assessment on the mileage. Lots of touch points would indicate that the truck has been well maintained. OEM clamps on hoses, the running board condition, radiator, and seat belts all contribute to this. Parker Toyota is in my backyard growing up so if this was where the truck lived I can assure you the climate was relatively dry and salt free. Vehicles tend not to rust in eastern WA and north Idaho. Very well done!

Nice vehicle, congrats. So, do you still believe the mileage ? Seems like it was hit , and pretty hard to shear rivets.
Thanks. I think the corner went into a snow bank based on the uniform delivery of force, no crinkles anywhere. Also no tool marks indicating g someone tried to repair it.
[/QUOTE]

Could be frame damage, maybe ?

Thanks. I think the corner went into a snow bank based on the uniform delivery of force, no crinkles anywhere. Also no tool marks indicating g someone tried to repair it.

Could be frame damage, maybe ?
[/QUOTE]
Frame doesn't seem damaged beyond the shock tower problem, and I do consider that to be structural frame damage. My buddy has a collision center, it will be going on the frame machine to measure the symmetry on the frame rails. Body looks and works perfect except for that pushed corner.

I've been told that rivet will not be possible to reproduce and I will have to use Grade 8 bolts in place of the rivets on that shock tower.

Others have reproduced the rivets a number of ways. I think you can still buy an equivalent for ship building and the like. You'd need the (air) hammer and anvil/die. Wouldn't be too hard if there's a corresponding inner frame hole to work through.

The other way I've heard of is by using a high grade bolt and nut. Once installed just carefully grind the head to look like a rivet. Probably could give the inner nut the same treatment and then weld it to the bolt shank. Just make a note of it in the records so future generations will know the score. Gorgeous 40!

looks like a solid, super original truck. I have the the ‘66, same coral seats. Keep it this way.
Are you saying those seat vinyls could he original? I don't see any tool marks on the screws now that you mention it, plus there is a color matched piping on the metal backing.
Screenshot_20210323-204339_Gallery.jpg

The horn seems to missing it's mate.
20210323_190817.jpg
20210323_190829.jpg

That one has an "L" embossed on the lower housing, assuming there should be an "R". There is a wire there, but no horn.
20210323_190838.jpg

I think this is the horn relay, the mounting screws are not there for some reason.
20210323_190931.jpg
20210323_190915.jpg

The right front tire is an original Dunlop rk3! The others are later weathermasters from the 70’s. Nice time capsule, very hard to find these now. I would preserve it,not restore it..
Good eye on the tires.
We are on the same page with preservation. My vision for this is to gently correct the front corner damage 1mm at a time. Then all new rubber bits throughout including the cooling, brakes, seals and even the suspension bushings if they can still be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom