Tightening loose bearing - made a rookie mistake... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Both of my front bearings were pretty loose, so I borrowed the big 54mm socket from Nakman locally and dove right in to tighten it. The passanger side went well, but then while buttoning things back up on the DS I carelessly cross-threaded one of the 6 nuts on the flange and stripped one of the studs - cr&p! :bang:

This was just a temp fix anyway until the full front axle service but I really hated to see that happen :crybaby: There was one non-stock nut used on one of the studs and a couple of thick flat washers were missing - which I corrected.

What's my options there for fixing the cross-threaded stud? Can I chase that thread with a die in hopes of restoring the thread? If not, what needs to be replaced?

you can try to chase the treads and see what happens if the fails you just replace the stud

Just repleace the stud
If it is only one you should be fine until you get another

Yeah, either way. A metric stud removal socket set is handy to have but so is a tap and die set. Of course you can always remove the stud with two nuts backed against each other.

If the threads are toast just remove the stud with vicegrips and replace with an OEM stud for like $1.

If the threads are toast just remove the stud with vicegrips and replace with an OEM stud for like $1.

I have to take another look at this flange and that stud... didn't see how that stud is held in place. Glad to hear it's not an expensive lesson to learn.

The stud is threaded into the hub
Spray some PB on it
Put some vice grips on that bad boy and unscrew it

It's a good idea to have 4 or more spares (nuts and studs) because those things are always getting messed up. I would also get some of the cone washers. At least for me, some of mine always get too tight or the edges get messed up when I tap on them to knock them loose.

I hosed one of my studs and replaced it with a new oem one. Its really easy to replace them. Just put vice grip on it and apply force.

I Just put vice grip on it and apply force.
That makes sense on how to take it off... but how do you tighten it into the hub without destroying the new threads?

Tighten two nuts against one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom