1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tightening and replacing knuckle bolt......

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Wayne, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Wayne

Wayne Bought by His blood, kept by His power

How do I fix an alignment problem that has occured since I replaced one of the steering knuckle arm bolts and re-torqued the other three ???. Strange thing is, when one of the bolts was missing and two of the remaining three had loose nuts, the steering tracked straight and the steering wheel was centered :-\. I did experience a shaking at 40-55 mph that is now gone. But, now the truck pulls right and the steering wheel is two inches left off center when going straight :'(. What' ya think?

Wayne S :cheers:

2. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

You probably just need an alignment and an adjsutment of your drag link to correct the position of your steering wheel. You could adjust the drag link your self easily, but unless you have done it before, I would let a shop set the toe, since their measuring equiptment is more accurate, though you could get close with a tape measure.

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    I agree with Drew.

Get it aligned at a a good shop. Correct toe is important to tire wear as well as tracking in some cases. A good front-end guy will also center the steering wheel without you even asking him to.

As to why is is off now it could be that it was "aligned" recently (before you got it) with loose stuff in the front end. As they say, "garbage in, garbage out".

D-

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">