Tighten up fac steering or do PS conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.huntingadventures.net
My factory manual steering (USA 77 model) is loose and a little un-nerving on the highway. If I tighten/ rebuild it will that be better then a swap for PS?

I will not run bigger then 33X10.50's the steering is hard but not near as bad as my Cruiser in RSA which is brutally hard to steer.

I have steering paranoia and early in my life I had the output stub shaft break off on a pick up while driving. It was a scary and insane thing to break. Not likely a thicker more over built part on the truck but it broke off without any mods, just a factory defect??

Anyhow, I need some steering help what do you guys think?

Welcome.

How is your suspension configured? Do you have a picture of your truck from the front showing the leaf springs and shackles?

If you wheel at all, do yourself a favor and go Saginaw - you'll never look back.

My $.02

:beer: Ramon

Poser, I have shackle reversal with OME and a OME 2.5" spring lift.

I have a motocross track on my farm. I drove today around the hills, berms, and deliberately put myself into tight places that took low or no speed turning effort. It's actually not that bad. My 66 fj45 cruiser in South Africa with the diesel is a freaking horror show to steer with manual and I hate it. This Fj from 77 has a better gear ratio or design.

The one thing that would be better would be a smaller diameter but thicker steering wheel to give me more clearance between the steering wheel and the door/window. I know that means losing some leverage. However that thin smooth wheel is harder to grab onto and would be way better if it were twice the thickness and rubber coated.

if your thinking abou it, then its time for ps conversion. youll wish you had done a long time ago

Poser, I have shackle reversal with OME and a OME 2.5" spring lift.

Do you have a caster shim installed between the front leaf springs and the axle?

If so, what degree?

adjustment of caster and toe-in recently on my truck considerably tightened the steering :D

Check the rag joint and the play in the center arm. The combination of those two fixes will make a huge difference. If you want a smaller wheel, get PS. The big wheel is a requirement for strongarm steering, IMO.

I don't see any shims in there. I had to wait to reply as I was not near the rig all day. It's dark but I don't see anything, I'll look with a light, or in the morning.

Man up! Put your stock system in order and you'll develop fore arms like Popeye!

All kidding aside the stock steering is fine on the highway and isn't too bad for lite wheeling. If you spend a lot of time in the rocks you can get pretty sore after a long day tho. Wrap the wheel with a cheap auto store cover and you'll have a much easier time holding on. You need the wide wheel for leverage. I'd wait until you really need it before switching to PS.

Man up!

I'd wait until you really need it before switching to PS.

the time is now, dont wait youll thank me later

^^^^^^^^^What camcruiser said... best mod out there if you wheel any, at least I think so!!

:beer: R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom